Trailer Wiring help...

I am in the process of putting a trailer on my 93 civic hatch. i attempted to wire up the flat 4 harness and i got the turns hooked up ok, but when i hooked the brake wire up it allowed the turns to back feed to each side.

anyone have a diagram i can use? do i need a diode or two? should i tap the brake off of the 3rd brake light wire (since brake and turn is the same wire)?

thanks,

yes … you need a diode pack … they sell them at Colton,Camping world, … basically any place like that

i think i saw one at autozone for like 20 bucks, should i buy it or make one. diodes are like .35 each

buy it …

haha ok. thanks

You problem is the fact that almost every jap car ever made has separate lights for the turn signals and brakes. As you’ve found you can’t just splice them together and hope it works. They make a specific devices that allows you to run the multiple turn/brake outputs to a single set of outputs for the trailer where the turn and brake are they same light. For less than $20 it’s well worth it.

Despite the claim on the box that the device is weather proof I highly recommend mounting it inside the car, like in the access area behind the taillight. I installed one in my old Tercel and it was still working 5 years later when I got rid of it.