Transmission & drivetrain question

This is in the 2010 Mustang, but I posted in General since it can be applicable to manuals in general. How much “notchiness” is normal in cold temperatures? When I leave work, it’s a little hard to go from gear to gear, and I can feel a little bit of grinding, particularly going to third, like the syncros having quite got things lined up just right. I’m not talking about audible grinding, but you can feel the gears biting a little.

Also, how much driveline clunk is normal or acceptable? Most noticeable when downshifting and the driveline isn’t “snugged up”. I’ve read that the Mustangs can be a little noisy.

I’ve never actually owned a manual before and thought I’d check with you all before making a trip to the dealer.

could it possibly be your driving since your not used to a manual?

2 Piece drive shaft or did go back to a single for 10 ?

I’m not sure how the shift could be wrong when the clutch is pressed to the floor for several seconds and you can still feel light grinding. And even slipping the clutch and easing into a gear can still produce a clunk.

How dare you question my driving?!?!? :slight_smile: I understand why you asked.

My car sometimes doesn’t wanna go into gear when it’s cold or has a slight grind or pop into place. Once the transmission warms up it goes away.

However, it’s a Cavalier with 75,000 miles, not a brand new Mustang, so the similarities could be nonexistant.

is this only when cold? is it only when your moving when its cold? if your idling and press clutch in can you go thru the gears 1 by 1 without any grinding? if it grinds this way then i would take the car back, the rotating shaft while moving in between shifts i could see a slight grind on cold days especially going into 3rd

if its doing this when warm i would then take the car back

The fluid is going to be thicker when its cold so it doesnt get into all the areas as it does when its warm and this is perfectly normal. If it does it all the time take that shit back.

Definitely more noticeable when it’s cold. If I’m sitting still and go through the gears, I may still feel a little resistance, but once it’s in a gear, it’s smooth coming out and back in (presumable because everything has lined up).

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have them check it out. I need to take it in for the center console lid that doesn’t want to pop up, and the radio that has interference at low volume (which is like a 9 page discussion on a Mustang forum).

Thanks for the input. I may never go back to an automatic again.

what mustang forum you use? corral.net?

is that a 5 litre car? if not trade it in on one. im looking forward to the new times those run with the 430 hp they say it should run very well especailly being lighter then the camaros

5L is the 2011 412 hp

Not a member on any, just Googled. I think MustangForums.com or something like that.

Like Shaggy said, mine’s a 2010. I needed a daily driver, and though the 5.0 is very tempting, I didn’t want to wait or deal with the almost certain dealer markup. And maybe higher insurance rates.(?)

check our corral.net for info jeff