Transmission help...

My neighbor has a 96 Olds Delta 88, and it seems the transmission is going. He can’t seem to get the car into first.

Once he’s moving, there’s no problems, but getting it moving is problematic what with basically starting in 2nd.

He’s had the trans fluid changed since this started happening, but it hasn’t alleviated the problem.

I know little about troubleshooting when it comes to such things. Any ideas what might cause this?

I’ve heard of this problem in mid 90’s GM motors. I dunno if its the same problem but it has to do with the overdrive or something. where when you come to a stop it feels like its stuck in a higher gear and either stalls or is hard to start moving again…

Im sure a GM guy can chime in and figure it out

transmission failure would probably cause those symptoms

Guys at North Hills Transmission (near Veteran Auto on Evergreen/Babcock) just fixed my 2002 Intrepid tranny. Had to replace a piece. Might want to give them a try.

I have been told never to replace high mileage fluid by a friend if it has gone over 80k without any fluid change.

Trans-X.

Buy it at the auto parts store, drain enough fluid to get the whole quart in, and drive. It will not make it work right away, but the more you drive it the better it will get to the point that it will run and shift like a good used tranny. It will not make it new again, but will fix most problems like this.

I bought an old toyota off of neonracer01, it would not move at all. Took it home, changed the filter, added one quart of Trans-X, refilled the fluid, and within two weeks of drive it 1 mile per day the tranny was fixed.

I guess it’s good news. If it’s a known issue, there’s probably a fix…

Thanks for the tips.