Turbo Grand Am

A few places started coming out with rear mount turbo kits for GA’s and some people are starting to put down decent power.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56619&highlight=turbo

This guy put down WHP: 289.3 WTQ: 345.4 but ran into some valve float problems. Not too bad for a Grand Am.

Hmmmm I wonder how long that motor will hold together???

Its not the motor i’d worry about as much as the trans. Those motors have been being boosted w/ SC’s for a while at 12PSI without problems. The Transmissions are very weak though.

I seriously hate grand ams

but I drive a civic so I guess it dont matta y0

FYI for non-GM people: the 3400 (3.4L V6) in the GAGT is a strong engine with a weak transmission, and weak gaskets on the pre-2002 models. It’s a good engine for the power/torque, but because of the transmission…:tdown: for trying to get the big power to last long.

:tup: to that guy for getting so much torque on that thing!

tranny will go to shit…and since my friend has boosted his he has gone through 2 head gaskets in 6-months i belive. and that was only @ 4psi

transmissions are def. the weak point. id say with those numbers and valve float problems a nice set of performance oriented valvesprings and retainers along with a built tranny = craziness

even if it’s not a “great” idea, i think its cool because its sometihng different :tup:. If enough GAGT owners are interested in turbo kits like this, parts will begin to be developed to increase reliability, car owner interest will open the way for more development into stronger parts

anytime there are new kits/parts/R&D for a car it is a good thing. as long as people show interest in it, the aftermarket will grow.

what transmission exactly is in those? im’ havin a hard time thinking.

and i agree with Albinomonkey rat, and not just cuz i have this engine in my car. they are def good motors. i’ve seen another cavy with a 3400 and a RMT run 12.6 on 12 psi and the motor was bone stock. (besides being swapped)

hopefully i can get those #'s over this summer.

wtf he only makes power to 4400 then it falls, does it say what his a/f or timming was? Nice numbers on 11psi, im impressed.

No A/F #'s but timing was set @ 15.5 i believe. And yeah i’ve seen a few people build the trans on these cars with different clutch packs and things to make them quite durable.

too much timing

and i just heard from my friend in WV that has the turbo grand am. he knows this person and he said it is not a rear mount kit… where are you getting this info from?

If tranys are the issue, why not swap in the Getrag 5-sp that was used in the 91-93 Grand Prix GTP with the TDC 3.4? Those tranys are actually pretty decent.

There is a guy around here (WNY) who has a red one that is turbo’d. He did it about 3 or so years ago and spent a ton on it. Didn’t seem very fast though. If I remember correctly he was running 6lbs of boost.

I was reading on my grand am forum that its the same kit from Donkey Punch performance and thats a rear mount kit so I figured it was the same. I could be mistaken but thats what they were all saying. Either way its a turbo, haha.

WTF to that graph…it looks like a doodle of a mountain. So much for steady power bands.

:lol: Looks like a typical rear mount (STS) turbo graph.

he drives down my street everyday in the summer (works there) the car looks pimp as fuck, but sounds like shit and burns oil like crazy

weird, Grand am/prixs seem to flood the car market amongst teens and no one ever took the time to tune one? I would think those along with civics and eclipses would have aftermarket parts like crazy, but im just going off basic road observations.