Turbo lag/hesitation..

So I had just gotten my fmic setup done on my sr20, and just completed my S15 turbo install. So I took it for a quick rip down the street, and the turbo seems VERY laggy. The boost gauge is barely hitting the 2nd line above 0 (on a 1.5Bar w/ Vaccuum Gauge) Even when floored, the turbo barely makes any power. I checked all my lines, doesnt seem to be a boost leak anywhere, I do have a boost controller going in tomorrow, but i would imagine the s15 turbo making a little more power than that without having to crank it up. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it just be my enormous front mount causing a huge amount of lag for that size of turbo? The fmic core is approx. 32x12x3.5 w/ 3" ends.

so it never did that before u had the front mount?
then i would say a big yes

front mounts are laggy compared to sidemounts

but that much more lag? My Blitz LM that i had in my previous car (using the same piping with a bigger core) wasnt even close to that much lag, like hardly any at all. If its gonna be that laggy I think I’m gonna have to consider going a little smaller.

EDIT: the new one isnt much bigger than my previous LM either.

You probably have a different problem…Possibly a small boost leak.

Just turn up the boost.

I’ll check for the boost leak before cranking up the boost.

hey dude i;m havin a similar problem…after putin on my fmic and bigger turbo…it seems like its lagy till i hit 4 rpm then bam power all the way.

yeah, I dont get no BAM, just like 3-5psi of nothing…I’ll check for leaks this afternoon.

Tightten up the actuator…3-4 psi isnt gonna do shit…Yehaw 30-40 hp above a stock SR20DE. Try giving it more boost, you cant make power without it…

the actuator on the turbo? it wasnt tampered with in my old 240, so why all this nonsense now?

Sounds like a boost leak to me. You sure you hooked the vac lines back up to the IC piping? What about all the ones on your manifold? Stuff pops off sometimes.

the manifold ones are all on, I dont have any vac lines coming off my IC piping other than the hotpipe one, but that one is just plugged off cause i wasnt sure where it was suppose to go.

Actually now that I think of it…do you have a tubular exhaust manifold? Checked it for cracks?

Pretty sure there was no cracks when I installed the turbo last week, But I’ll double check.

this is what I meant by my comment earlier. Bigger snail and larger piping/IC core = laggierx2

I dont see how I could go from a no lag setup (same turbo, mani, everything but a smaller intercooler core, but once I put the one thats slightly bigger on, then bam, I lose all power… the blitz one had 2 3/4" endtanks, I’m still using my blitz piping, just running a 3" endtank core now. I would assume its the core, but even floored at like 5-6rpm I’m still only hitting .2-.3 Bar, if that. So there must be some sort of lag, loose pipe issue that I cant seem to find… Argh.

I’m just gonna drive this thing off a cliff

Question: did some 180’s come with a stock boost controller? I had a little green gizmo with a knob on it.

K, well I now have boost…except the bov isnt going off, not sure why, also the boost controller is spiking terribly! I took it for a quick rip down the road, and it jumped to 16psi!! I cant have that, the engine will be dead in a week.
Its a Profec B Spec II if anyone knows how to set it, I want 6.5psi as Low and 10.5 as Hi

Your stock turbo’s wastsgate shouldnt allow it to get below 7 psi. If it does then you have a boost leak. And it sounds like you screwed something up with your boost controller. And yes 180’s came with a stock boost control solenoid, but it is to lower boost pressure when knock is detected.