Turbo Oil Line clocking

I built this kit for a kid that has a b16 in a crx. Well b/c of how my big box of ebay parts went together, the turbo was way to low and forward to run nice straight up and down oil lines. I never mounted a turbo like this and was just seein if anyone has and had luck. I hope it drains ok, b/c there is no other way to run the oil drain. Isn’t there some angle your not supposed to tilt it farther than? So far, about 20miles of driving its been ok. He picked it up yesterday before I could do more research on it… so far so good!

My new turbo is about that angle…but its a garrett

That shit is going to end up smoking like a diesel

Well, if you ask people whom only know what the internet tell you then your an asshole for ever mounting other that straight up and down. In the real world though, if it doesn’t smoke, then it doesn’t smoke. You will probably be aided by the fact that under acceleration it will be forcing oil towards the drain they way you have it clocked now. You might actually be on to something!

That was my hope, that under acceleration it would help direct it back out of the turbo better… but who knows. I know what you mean, i’ve read the stuff that says straight up and down or else.

the kid called me yesterday and said it smokes a little under boost. Hopefully it’ll be ok… but that $150 ebay t3/t4 doesnt help either.

well…you are probably only under any type of forceful acceleration about 1/1000th of the time unless it is strictly a drag car. Otherwise, anything spinning at 100,000+rpms shoudl have proper drainage. Good luck.

ya, so whats the definition of “proper drainage”? thats what im looking to know.

I would use a general rule that if sitting still and running and oil can pool deep enough to submerge the shaft then its not quite proper.

^^Exactly…probably don’t want the oil sticking buy the shaft long enough to break down

Well I let it run for a long time, and had a good 5-10mi put on it before i gave it back to the kid, and it seemed perfectly fine. My oil drain is pretty straight though, so there shouldnt be any problem with the oil getting out.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt want to do it like this, i had no choice since there was no other way to run it.

ebay sucks

the customer is always right

internet or not, garrett recommends a specific way of mounting it to make the turbo last as long as possible, I can’t really see the oil drain from the pictures, the oil feed should be ok since it’s pressure based