turbo rebuild shops??

next week i am looking at sending out my garrett t28 to be rebuilt after blowing the oil seal last driving season. so for i have talked to industrial diesel and turbo out in oakville area i believe, and they said 650 includes all the basic components as aslong as they dont have to get into replacing shafts etc. 1 yr warrenty. is there any other shops anyone knows of that can better?

Wow, if the turbo in question is not ball bearing equipped then that is alot of labor… considering that the complete rebuild kit itself is 97.00 USD, and that is genuine Garrett. I personally have not rebuilt a turbocharger (yet) but it looks like pressing bushings and checking the clearence of certain parts and replacing seals, etc etc. So by this logic, a machine shop charges say 55$ per hour. Say you already have the turbo apart, and it would take 2 and a half hours MAX to completely rebuild said turbo. this brings us to 262.00 including the kit before taxes. Although this figure is without warrenty it should give you a basic rationalization of what things should cost (ballpark figure). Unless there are any specialized processes I have overlooked, please do correct me so I know for the future. Otherwise, good luck and do some more shopping.

oops, almost forgot you can check out that kit here-http://www.gpopshop.com/rebuilding.html. These guys quote your turbo at 325 for a complete rebuild with balancing.

if you want a proper turbo rebuild, call Herman at cherry turbo, they are located just outside London, he has done turbo’s for a very long time and i havent seen any better at it then him

his # is
519-633-7842
herman
cherry turbo

so its cheaper to rebuilt ball bearing turbo ?? isnt an s14 or s15 t28 ball bearing already?

sorry i forgot to say yes the turbo is a journal bearing - from an s14.
the shop i was directed towards is very reputable and i know many car dealerships that use them…
as far as rebuilding it myself, yes i have seen the rebuild kits online, and contemplated it , but a former service adviser of subaru and friend to leave something that precise and spins that friggin fast to the pros, balancing it is apperently the key in this…
i havent every taken one apart and am nervous to get into it only to get lost and frustrated :stuck_out_tongue:

mr transmission on sheppard. My brother works for the guy who owns it. ask for ray sanchez

i live in hamilton lol , but ive been doing some research , and am really thinking about rebuildin myself … ive heard soem possitibve feedback and been given some useful links… anyone else out htere with great DIY turbo rebuild directions / sites/ vids w.e

ALSO asfar as rebuild kits go apperently theres two kinds dynamic and carbon?? i have a t28 from an s14 . non ball bearing ? what exactly am i looking for. rebuild kits online : some offer a bonus upgrade to a 360 degree thrust bearing instead of a 270 ??? great benifit?

No, the parts involved in rebuilding said ball bearing turbo are more expensive thusly evening out the parts to labor ratio.

so after a visit to cherry turbo today i came out with quiet the good impression ,
not only did he take the time to look at it, though he was in the midst of something , but he gave me the honest truth that there was nothing wrong and the momentary oil leak was casued by a build up in pressure from the return. he had other turbos all apart and took his time to explain different scenarios of how an oil seal can go! and how to prevent it. AND i learned my turbo is a BB t28rs with the steel wheel un - anounced to me at time of sale ! SCORE !

HIGHLY recommend cherry turbo + 1 !!

He’s so over priced it’s not even worth laughing at…

holy crap! $625 for that price I can almost get you a new one, with custom A/R’s… wow.

You talk a lot of shit BAS, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here that’s gone to you for work, or any real proof of all this cheap crap you can get…

I agree that price for a rebuild is high, since you can get a new T28 for around there from certain suppliers, but the cheapest I’ve seen from someone I’d trust to buy a new turbo off of was still $800ish.

If your looking for a few broken teeth and some nice confrontation then by all means drop by with that talk and you can say it to me in person…

As for the quality of the turbos I get, talk to hector or nocwage both are running turbos built by the same guy. As for customers… most don’t even bother to post here anymore because of people like you…

anyways…

your S14 turbo is not worth rebuilding.

just buy another one… non ball bearing T28’s are like $600 brand new, an S15 BB turbo is like $900 or less…

99% of all rebuilt turbos blow up again really soon.

i can picture this guy… 5 foot 8 140lbs haha. you like to talk alot of shit.

shut the hell up!

umm a few people here as well as myself have bought turbos off of BAS for well under $650, and he’s not talking shit he jus tknows more than most of u, ive bought turbos off off herman and bas , herman is a little over priced i dont mind, his service is good and he does amazing work , and his balencer is second to none

and i dont know why u guys are even arguing about herman , he’s not gonna do work for any of u guys any way, unless uve dealt with him and a are regular customer, cuz of this exact reason

i bet u $3.25 that BAS would beat the pantaloons right of your ass

i only make that small of a wager cuz i dont want to take all your money

i dunno im a pretty big guy

thats nice , i was just simply stating that BAS isnt really that small , i just did decided to make an uninformed statement as u did