Turbotax/IRS Rant

OT, not trying to hi jack but does anyone know if turbo tax has a gurantee against getting audited or anything

prob not. mom is doing mine soo i should prob never see my refunds

There are no guarantees against getting audited. There are guarantees that if you are audited and the fault was the calculations that the program made, all fines + interest will be paid. Or something like that.

CLIFFNOTES: Don’t lie on your tax return just because you bought a program. You are still responsible.

This has nothing to do with turbotax but I owe NYS $116. :banghead:

Oh.

It makes me mad.

PS. I did my taxes on the Liberty website. It was easy as shit.

no w-2’s for me yet either

in case you fucking morans didn’t realize, I always spell it like that. In speech I typicall say just “mo” or “mo-ran”. It’s a soft “A” pronounced like “ron”.

:sigh:

morans

I kept it pretty tight this year just like I wanted.

Got about 200 bucks back total.

The girlfriend got back around 100 bucks, and owed 4 dollars to state.

getting 700 back, owe nothing.

thats what I mean, I dont wanna do my taxes thru TT and then have to pay back money or something cuz of a glitch or something that TT missed. I am just going to have my boy do my taxes like he does every year for free.

I did log in my girls info and she is getting back like 5K. I cant wait to have a kid

Actually, your girl lost $117.46.

Want to know how? Basically she was paying in $416.67 too much each month in taxes. Lets say she opens an HSBC online savings (5.05% APY), with $1, and puts that $416.67 in that account each month, instead of giving it to the government. At the end of the year, with the compounding interest, the balance in the account is 5118.46. So 5001 of that was her money, leaving $117.46 in “free money”.

Or in her current case, $117.46 she gave to the government just because I guess she likes giving the government money.

A nice little compounding interest calculator for figuring out stuff like this:
http://www.math.com/students/calculators/source/compound.htm

but now if she claims exempt then she would end up owning ya know. hey, they can keep the 117 and give us the 5K to go towards our wedding.

somehow I doubled my income from last year and I am only getting back an exta 150 bucks. I say that fucked up. but I have no kids and cant claim head of house

:roll:

that’s an accepted spelling on the interwebs

how much is it to have someone else do this shit?

like an h&r block, or some other place?

Depends on how complex your taxes are. I pay a decent amount, but I have a consulting company and a ton of business expenses and deductions.

If all you have is a simple W2 and don’t own a house, you’ll never meet the standard deduction if you try to itemize anyway. So just do the short form yourself using one of the free web sites. It will take about 10 minutes, tops.

Just read the worksheet, fill in the blanks, do the math. then log on to any e-file site: http://www.irs.gov/efile/lists/0,id=101223,00.html

When You are done typing in info, make sure Your settlement matches Your hand written form.

If You’re single, don’t own anything, and only have W2 forms to claim - it shouldn’t take more then 20 minutes to finish federal & state worksheets. 1040EZ & IT150 short (iirc).

Or pay someplace $80 to spend 20 minutes doing it for You.

:noes:

The whole owning a house thing scares me from doing my own taxes… and lets face it, spending $80 to not make that mistake is well worth it.

Meh… I aint skurred of a couple of forms. It’s just math & reading comprehension.

but, eh, :tup: I spose.

I was happy this year, I paid about 700 in taxes through out the year, and I got 650 back. So overall losing 50 bucks to the goverment is A Ok by me!