U20 Build Thread...and now we go old school.

Campbell’s is the same thing.
If you dont got a big block chev, your going to be waiting a while

Lemme know dave if you still need some parts bead blasted … Easter weekend was pretty hectic for me and I missed one of your calls whilst at an unofficial meet and cruise with the club. The offer is still up and after reading this thread (before I didnt see your project) I would be honoured to help out anyway that I can

Bernie

Aww shitty. Thats really to bad to hear.

Thanks Bernie. I will take you up on that offer shortly.

I’ll have to start looking around for a different machine shop on Monday. (Expletive) this pisses me off!

hey man good looking build cant wait to see it on the road, have you given BEST engines a call ??? i know the guy there that does all the head work, great job and usually a fairly fast turnaround and they work on everything if u need there number i can find it for you

No I haven’t contacted Best…hadn’t heard of them until now. I’ll try the phone book.

they do good work, had a few friends take their heads there to get re done :smiley: fast turnaround and wicked work

I’m check them out tomorrow.

Cam at Lightspeed (along with the machine shop he has do all his work) is going to save the day.

Sweet… Did you tell him you were with necc?

No…I have known him for a while now (before NECC). Should I have?

UPDATE TIME:

Well things have been crawling along at a pace a snail would laugh at.

I got some unfortunate news about the crank on Friday. Seems an unnamed previous machine shop didn’t measure the crank thrust.

So weeks had passed since I was told the condition of the crank and of course without knowing the thrust surface of the crank actually needs to be built up (I know this now thanks to the new machine shop) I had not done anything about it.

The centre main bearings are not available with thicker thrust surfaces so the only solution is to weld the area and re-machine it. That will happen on Monday.

I spent much of the afternoon finishing the de-greasing and wire brushing the frame right back to the rear suspension. I started this job a few weeks ago and it was nice to get it done today.

I have tried to get to as much of the frame as I can without getting too ridiculous and turning into a contortionist. There were a few immovable objects like fuel lines and brake lines that I just didn’t bother removing so I also tried to keep the paint away from there as well.

I applied the paint with a brush to eliminate the possibility of overspray; for the most part this is a bit bush league but I am doing this primarily to ensure nothing rusts for the next few years until I do a complete restoration. …and I think it actually doesn’t look too bad.

What I don’t like is the silver in then engine bay. Not much I can do about it at this point. I’d really like to paint the entire engine bay properly but then I am getting into removing wiring, fuel lines, brake lines, and so on and I’d like to get the car on the road. There’s only so many top down days!

You can see the before picture on page 4.

I also did some wiring repair

Oh…in the previous post, check out the botched exhaust pipe. I think the previous owner was doing exhaust repair and was too cheap to replace the flex pipe so put in that crappy piece you can see. I’ll be dealing with that sometime after I have the engine in.

…it’s not even friggen straight!

looks good cant wait to see it on the road !

I started polishing the valve cover, front cover, etc., tonight.

HOLY SHIT, this is going to take a f&#@ing long time!

I got the thrust surfaces of the crank welded and rough cut. Picked it up today. This is good news as last time I talked to the machine shop it was waaaaaay at the back of the line. :slight_smile:

The other day I got the clutch to go with my nice new aluminum flywheel. Nothing fancy but new parts are so much fun.

Still polishing…

Engine should be back together within the week (crossing my fingers). Just getting the rotating assembly balanced tomorrow or Friday. :slight_smile:

I saw some stuff the machine shop had build for you at Lightspeed last week. It looked good.