ugh...i think we're getting a C4 Vette

Low mileage chevy small block = rear main leak in yo driveway … and a puff of smoke upon startup

tell her dont be scurred … it’s still low …

worst car ever…make her listen do whatever it takes

Tell her that if she buys a C4 the fucking piece of shit civic in my driveway will be burned on her front lawn in protest.

long story short. seriously.

+1
You should do everything in your power to make this not happen. Especially since C-5’s can be had for so cheap now.

Late model C4 >>>>>>>>early C4

who cares… its her money. if the car is in good shape and she likes it, dont fuss.

/discussion

Can’t believe that one on ebay only got bid to $6K?I’ll take every mid 90 C4 I can find with under 100K miles for 6 grand.
The 92 and Up c4’s are no where as bad as everyone is making them out the be.The early ones were horrible hence that body style got that reputation.
D

C6 or bust. Slap this nonsense out of your mom.

:fail:

If I were you I’d go along, point out any hidden/unknown problems you may find, and offer no other input beyond “neat.”

I would just let her enjoy this. Not everyone thinks like an enthusiast…

It’s so easy to tell people how to spend THEIR money isn’t it? She has 10K to spend!

4 pages of common/known problems from C4 owners on the Corvette forum.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1845456&highlight=common+problems

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1849310&highlight=common+problems

some 88 info-

1988 Corvette Overview

1988 marked the 35th Anniversary for the Corvette and a special edition coupe was release in limited numbers, 2,050 to be precise, and came in white paint with a black bow roof and matching white interior and white rims. These Corvettes also sported commemorative badges for the 35th Anniversary on both the interior and exterior.

Once again the Z52 performance handling package was offered with larger 17” x 9.5” wheels and brakes to match. For coupe owners they were also offered a special option of high flow mufflers that added 5hp and were not offered on the convertibles due to increased volume levels of the exhaust. Also, the B2K twin turbo option was offered again this year, and would continued to be offered until 1991 from Callaway, but this year sported a $25,895 price tag in addition to the cost of the ‘Vette.

1988 Corvette Retail Prices

• Coupe

• $29,489

• Convertible

• $34,820

• Callaway TT

• $55,384Back to top
    1988 Corvette Production Numbers by Model

• Coupe

• Convertible

• Callaway TT

1988 Corvette Production Numbers by Color

• White

• Silver Metallic

• Gray Metallic

• Medium Blue Metallic

• Black

• Yellow

• Dark Orange

• Dark Blue Metallic

• Dark Red Metallic

• Charcoal Metallic

• Bright Red

• White/Black

1988 Corvette Engines

Engine

HP/TQ

0-60

Quarter Mile

• 5.7L V-8 L98
  • 240 HP @ 4000 RPM
    345lb-ft @ 3200 RPM
  • 5.7 sec
  • 14.4 sec @ 95mph
  • 5.7L V-8 L98 Twin Turbo
  • 345 HP
    465lb-ft
  • N/A
  • N/A
    1988 Corvette VIN Decoder

Engine Codes

• ZMC

• 5.7L V-8 L98 240 HP, 350ci (manual transmission)Other

• Country of Origin: USA

• G

• Manufacturer: General Motors

• Make: Chevrolet

• Y

• Restraint Code: Y=Active

• Y

• Carline/Series: Corvette

• 2 or 3

• Body Style: 2=Two Door Coupe or 3= Two Door Convertible

• 1 or 2

• 1=Manual Seat Belts or 2=Automatic Seat Belts

• Engine Type: 8=L98

• X

• Check Digit: Varies

• J

• Model Year: J=1988

• Plant: 5=Bowling Green, Kentucky

• Production Number:100001-upExample :1G1YY318XJ5100001

1988 Corvette Exterior Colors

Color

Code

• White
  • Silver Metallic
  • Gray Metallic
  • Black
  • Medium Blue Metallic
  • Yellow
  • Dark Blue Metallic
  • Dark Orange
  • Dark Red Metallic
  • Charcoal Metallic
  • Bright Red
  • White/Black
  • 40/41
    1988 Corvette Interior Trim Colors

Color Code
[LIST]

• Saddle Cloth

• 60C

• Black Cloth

• 19C

• Gray Leather

• 902[/LIST]

[LIST]

• Saddle Leather

• Black Leather

• Blue Leather

• White Leather

• Red Leather

• 732[/LIST]

thank you…i should have just not typed anything about the back story, and just looked for what problems one can expect with these cars.

if it was me, it’s be a down payment on a financed C5…or cash paid up front for a newer c4…but it’s not me, it’s not an enthusiast…it’s a middle aged woman that has always wanted a vette…finally has 2 kids graduating from college, and is comfortable getting one before too old to enjoy it. this is more than likely the car she is getting…i’m not going to rain on her parade…i just want to know what to expect since before she ever takes it to a shop or dealer, she’s going to ask me if i can look at it (if/when she runs into any problems with it).

and 91cny, thank you for the most informational post thus far…much appreciated. i just wish i could find more input from previous owners or people that knew owners to see what common problems existed with this year vette…

Had an 88 and a 94.No problems at all.

You all realize she couldn’t give a dick about the generation of car or it’s “mod” potential, right? Sounds to me like she found exactly what she was looking for. The miles are right, the condition is right, and the seller is trustworthy.

no problem man, I know theres alot of haters on pre LSX GMs
Before LSxs and Lt1s there was TPI, not a bad motor for the time, there was/is a pretty healthy performance aftermarket for these cars, while its not as fast out of the box as LTx/LSx cars the go fast parts can be had cheaper since most people modding these cars modded them decades ago…

They can be made fast pretty cheaply

I am not 100% sure of common problems but I seem to remember they have a tendency to have some spark/fuel problems

While its not what I would spend 10k on I dont think its a bad deal, Vettes always hold value regardless of how many generations removed it is…

I’d agree though, your mom dosent give a shit, if its what she wants go with it

some intake/headers/exhaust/gears/sticky tires and a chip and she will take down most of the haters on this forum, hell I bet she will take down more than a few bone stock

Yes GM has made much better Vettes since 1988 but it dosent diminish the car for what it is…

Also try digging around here-

http://www.web-cars.com/corvette/1988.php

The Corvette engine, still boasting of Bosch sourced fuel injection first introduced in 1985, continued its steady progress towards better fuel economy

That 94 was a nice car…

I say force her into what you know she’ll enjoy more in the long run. Take her for a ride in a C5 BEFORE she gets in the C4. She doesn’t know any better unless you tell her! It’s your responsibility as her son to help her. Once the novelty wears off she’ll thank you.

I’m half kidding. From the start, this was obviously another “ask an opinion, even though the outcome has already been decided” thread. If she’s anything like my mom, she’ll be happy with anything that has a corvette nameplate.