ugh...i think we're getting a C4 Vette

So my mom has wanted a Corvette her whole life…she’s not into cars at all, just wants a vette. doesnt care year, trim, generation, etc etc…just wants a vette that’s not a hideous color. I’ve done everything in my power to convince her to get a C5, but it’s not going to happen.

she has a very close friend that is willing to sell her a C4 vette, black, targa top i believe, 1988, 4X,XXX miles…immaculate condition in and out. She’s willing to sell it for $10,000. I have no idea what a clean, 40K mile 1988 vette goes for…

my first question for you vette guys is, is $10k reasonable for the car i’ve described?

next, since i doubt i’ll be able to convince her to get a C5 (since a C5 this clean with just as low miles will easily cost double what this car costs, and she’s not looking to finance…she has $10,000 give or take cash in hand, and rather than letting it dwindle in a horrible market she wants something she can enjoy)…what are common problems or concerns known to have come about in the 1988 Corvettes?

also, these had the LT1 in them, right? (prepared for hate from the LS1 fanboys) i know it’s not a bad motor…relative to some of the crap out there…but what are common problems that LT1s run into down the road?

just looking for advice, what i should look for…she brings it home tomorrow to test it out and let me check it out…what am i looking for regarding potential problems?

88 had TPI … ugly front nose and tail section … HORRIBLE Interior

other than that … your all good

hahah no LT1 it’s even worse than that TPI

for 10k you can score a near mint 92-96 … which are WAY better IMO

Ugh, I LOVE that body style, but they are probably the worst vettes ever made.

Isn’t the 88 considered a C3?

no c4

pre 83 is

the biggest thing is that this woman is a good friend of my mom’s…trust is there, so she feels comfortable buying it spur of the moment like this.

i’ll try and find some newer ones online but today is the first i heard about this mid life crisis decision, and all of a sudden it’s coming home tomorrow for a test drive and for the family to inspect it…

i think she’d rather settle for an older one from somebody shes knows and trusts that a better newer vette from a stranger…which is understandable.

oh, let her get it

give her 6mos, she’ll absofuckinglutely hate it. Hopefully the myriad issues will be minimal to the degree some of the money will come back

wow, that was a long generation. especially with how much the car changed.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/665345611.html

perfect … bet ya could get it for 9k …

Like it was said above 10K is a lot of money for that car.

Sounds like the same vette thats for sale on Transit in Depew 2 miles or so from Genesee.

well i dont think she will care so much i dont think shes bringing it “to the streets”

as long as she enjoys cruising around thats all that matters

as for me, no lower than c5, but i think she will enjoy it

that guy has been posting since last summer

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/664710695.html

yet another … 10k easy …

literally twice the miles though…and she’s not a very sharp car shopper…she’s more concerned with mileage and visible shape than potential problems for the generation…

Hmmm…I’ve never been crazy about the C$…C6 ftmfw.

Also ending on ebay as we speak. Hurry up just 11 minutes left bid bid bid…although the reserve won’t even get met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2nd-OWNER-MINT-CONDITION-GARAGE-KEPT-SMOKE-FREE_W0QQitemZ140228989951QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140228989951&

wait, she -or- we?