unnecessary octane at the pump?

went to the citgo on dick/georgeurban after gettin outta wegmans, i usually never go there cause it just looks like a shithole, but i didnt want to bolt across the street to sunoco

so i went to select regular and i notice their gas is 87, 88, 89 octane

unless its just me when the fuck did 88 come out?

edit: i forgot to add, the diff in price from the 88 and 89 is 2 cents

In Canada they had a place that had 94 octane, I filled the bike up for shits and giggles

depends on how much waste water they mix in?

If you ever go on a big road trip you will see it all. A local sunoco used to have 94, I’ve seen “economy” 86 as well too.

There are many different octane ratings throughout the country. Some states have 93 and 94, others only have at most 89 or 91. One of the factors that goes into what’s offered is the altitude of the area.

Also some gas pumps simply blend premium and regular to get a “mid-grade” when you pump it. So the octane rating would be an average of the two:

“If you look at the photo below that your average tokheim gasoline dispenser. The pipe you can see going straight up on the left and the right with black hoses connected to them are the product lines. Notice three products being sold and only two lines coming in.”

That said, who uses mid-grade anyway? I’ve never been in a car that said “use mid-grade gasoline.” Most cars either use premium (89+) or regular. I think offering a mid-grade like 88 is simply a way to snag a few people into paying a bit more.

^ You just made the argument for midgrade. There are a good amount of cars that require 89+ or 91+ (I think all I6 X5s are 91+) which falls squarely into the normal midgrade range. Couple that with the chance to sucker some people into buying “better” gas…

I’ve gotten 94 in NY before…Car ran pretty smooth on it actually.

I think he posted this not to say how my octane ratings are available but that actually having 87, 88, 89 doesn’t make sense.

Having 87, 89, 94 would make sense as it gives you an actual range of octanes while 87,88,89 essential does not.

What onyx posted might be the answer though. Since the place is a cum dumpster they probably carry 89 as “Premium” but have this two feed style pump. That being said their regular being 87 makes the blend 88. Who the hell would want 88 lol.

Any ways my M3 calls out 91 I think.

It’s normal for gas pumps to ratio “regular” and “premium” to come up with the mid grades, a gas station doesn’t want to have a separate tank for 5 different grades. I go to Sunoco usually because they have a 91 “blend” if you will, which is all my car requires. Putting in higher octane than the car needs is just wasting your money.

My boat recommends 89 (carbed VolvoPenta). I’ve run 87 and it will sometimes diesel a little bit on shutdown. Run 89 in it and it’s perfect so no sense paying extra for 91+.

You always want to run the minimum octane needed to make the vehicle run right. I always laugh at the ricers running 93 in their stock compression Civics thinking it gives them more power. The only speed increase you’re getting there is the weight reduction of lightening your wallet.

this!

dont u get better gas milage from higher octane? i thought i heard this a few years back

if your car is not optimized for higher octane, you will be wasting money putting in a higher octane.

You will not burn it as efficiently if your car is not tuned for it.

my dads 99 ram pings like crazy on 87 but runs fine on 89 :shrug:

it’s a v8 right? Most v8s are made to run on higher octane fuels and are recommended that by the factory.

I know V8 cherokees are recommended premium from the factory

Integra GS-Rs and B Series Civics require 93 oct, or premium gas :bush:

no, they were detuned from factory in the US market to run on 87 because of all the cheap americans

most people have them JDM motors and need the 93

When a car says premium fuel required, doesn’t it mean 91+?

Yes, when sold in the US.