Upstairs remodel project

Agreed. That part will be contracted out.

that looks awesome, but the green stripe of paint on the ceiling between the dormer and the ceiling in the rest of the room is throwing me off…probably just the pictures.

really great work for a DIY, nice job

Definitely a nice job. Makes me want to finish my attic… Which I would probably do if the staircase to go up wasn’t in the fucking guest bedroom.

I hear ya there. I went back and forth between painting the angled parts white and wall color. In the end I went for consistancy and painted all the actual flat ceilings white and everything else the wall color. It makes it feel less like a cape and more like a normal room with square walls.

X…

Turn the guest bedroom into a rec room of sorts? Then put the guest room upstairs.

Big :tup: I agree drywall is the worst. Want to come and mud my basement for me? I will pay in cases of beer.

Not a bad idea actually…but I would prefer to keep it intact. I think having all the bedrooms on the second floor would help in resale. I have been mulling over the idea of shrinking the laundry closet (stacked washer and dryer, and maybe putting in a spiral staircase to go up there. Then I’ll just close off the attic staircase in the guest room.

We would probably use the attic as a rec room, but could stage it as a bedroom (only needs a closet legally) when it goes up for sale.

I learned how to do plaster first. Drywall feels easy by comparison.

And really nice job Xander, looks fantastic.

Drywall is just labor intensive and annoying. Carrying it, holding up the boards, putting a 1000 screws in each one.

At least cutting it is easy.

I consider all of that to be the easy part. It is the seam work that is horrible and time consuming to me. It is only because I am not that good at it.

MPD, did you just volunteer to do my mud work?

oh, mudding is a whole other story…yes, by far the worst part

Sweeeeet. nice writeup

Wow Xander…IM impressed

my beer thing went off.

nice f’ing job man.

Nice job X.

How much to do my 2000 sq/ft basement? :smiley: It is already started… 2 years ago. :frowning:

I will need about 10 windows. :slight_smile:

Did you have plans drawn up to add the dormer? I talked to a construction company about doing this at my house and they said they required architectural plans before they would even quote it.

When you do projects like this yourself, what’s a good budget for lumber / drywall / materials. Is $1000 for an average sized room a good estimate?

This really depends on size and finish materials, flooring, windows, lighting, electrical, doors, insulation etc. $1,000 is a good budget for flooring on a space like the one Xander did, and I think that’s a bit low. Framed doors can be from $50 to $300 each.

I budgeted about 1k for my basement and I will be over 2500 when I am done. That is just to build out and finish a 250 Sq.Ft space.