UTI VS. HVCC AutoMotive

^^ Yep, exactly what John said is probably exactly what my dad would say(my dad is also a mechanic for a living). He works for the Town of Colonie, mainly in the Police Department working on the cruisers, emergency vehicles, etc. Does he like the job? Ehh. He enjoys working on our stuff(my cars, his cars, our toys, etc.) and some of his good friends cars, rec. vehicles, etc. because he enjoys it as a hobby, but doing it day in and day out Mon-Fri, 730-4 I’m sure gets boring, stressful, and the enjoyment starts to wear off.

He owned/ran his own shop for 10+ years, closed up shop because the stress was killer running a successful/busy shop by himself & one other mechanic w/ my mom answering phones and whatnot. He landed a nice job with the TOC and has been there since. As he’s told me and some of my friends, a position like his is one in a million in the auto field(making the money he is w/ all the benefits, vacation time, paid holidays, etc. with no further degree after high school) and going into the field of automotive would be dumb because like 88slowmarro said, the work/job opportunity isn’t there and is shrinking.

Also, in today’s world, it’s all about who you know.

I’d do the GM program at HVCC if that’s what you are looking to do. I know several people who did that and now have jobs because of it.

Besides, who in their right mind would want a urinary tract infection? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

HVCC does not have any other engines courses. You are being trained to be a tech. Cars are a good hobby, but most techs that I’ve experienced are not too happy with their jobs. The most successful tech that I know is b-ri’s dad who works as a mechanic for the FBI. Like Joey said, those jobs are one in a million. If you want to rebuild motors/do performance related stuff… I can get you in touch with my friend who is going to a very high profile school in Texas where the main focus is building motors for race cars, chassis and suspension fabrication, etc.

Also, my only experience with Wyotech is a friend’s brother going there. He now does upholstery on custom ordered helicopters for celebrities and important people. He makes REALLY good money, and everyone in his class got a job. I don’t know if that would be the case now adays.

Like mentioned previously, cars/bikes are best left as a hobby, not a career.

Don’t listen to me though, that’s just my opinion on the subject matter and everyone is entitled to one. :wink:

So true. Thats why Im not working on cars anymore.

One class for each and you work on one tranny and one motor and thats it.
After those classes you wont do any serious motor work while there. In the lab you either work on the donated cars doing bullshit stuff or on people’s $200 rusty shitboxes.

unless you are a lucky sob and somehow found a niche shop to work for and have unique skills, you will not make alot of money. you could own your own shop (what i planned on after i got my 1st degree from HVCC) but that is extremely stressfull, and you need alot of capital to do well…my suggestion to the OP would be to keep your car your hobby, and go somewhere and learn a trade…not only will you work hard and have a rewarding day out in the field, you will make alot of money and more importantly you will not get tired of cars and you will actually be excited to work on your own! im sure many of the mechanics on this site will agree, just my opinion tho

One of my friends had his own shop after going to HVCC and I worked there for a few years. After a while he got sick of the hassle and stress and is now a body shop estimator for a dealer.

Still in the automotive field but without the dirty hands.

OP, ya learnin anything here?? :lol

sounds like a machinist field would be more what you would be interested in.

i am currently in mechanical engineering technology at HVCC with plans to transfer and it has definitely been a good decision. the material isn’t a walk in the park, but thats what makes the degree desirable to employers, and there will always be a need for Engineers in one field or another.

Thanks guys, all of these opinions are helping a lot

i just like to read up on my shit before i make a final decision

i just wish there was a spot when you could just work motors

My dream job would be to work at a spot like Redline or synapse.

maybe ill go to school for auto, and do some fab schooling and open up a spot like that?

idk well see. if not i got some buddies who could get me into a couple dealerships but idk if i wanna be there…

Thanks for the help tho guys:number1

Morgan is a great guy but how is your dream job to work for him? Your dream job should be to own a place like that or something.

Set the bar a bit higher man. :slight_smile:

def sounds like a major in some type of mechanical design, then narrow it down to engine building later would put you where you want to be.

i have a friend that took mechanical engineering tech at HVCC, then transfered to Nascar Tecch in NC. when he was done there he worked for a race team for a little bit, and now he works for a company designing race radiators and intercooler.

Id say if you enjoy “making cars fast” and the like

dont do it… everyone i know whos a mechanic and love modding cars well… being a mechanic is repetetive and your constantly dealing with someone elses mess…

youd want to work in a speed shop that mainly deals in performance… and well unless youve already had a good reputation it seems very few make it these days…

Look at C&C… nice guys… but they opened up a shop in a time where the industry is hurting with no reputation to back them up

plus they were more expensive than the competition

true

And couldnt load a car on the dyno to save their lives :lol

+1 on the engineering degree, opens up a lot of opportunities.

Study thermodynamics / combustion / kinematic synthesis / gears / strength of materials / etc if you want to get into engine design. Then get a summer internship at a place where you can get practical experience. Work for near free if you have to, if you can swing it.

If you are looking into suspension R&D, look into courses like statics / multibody dynamics / strength of materials / linkages - then get a LOT of seat time in any sort of four wheeled vehicle, even if you are budget limited do autox / karting - it will be real important so you understand what you are designing and building as a user.

As for turning a hobby that you love into your livelihood, it depends on how much you love it.

If you are into cars and modding them say, for the sake of ____ hp, running ___ time, putting on ___'s bodykit etc etc. Well I don’t know maybe that’s just a cool hobby so you should keep it that way.

But if you are the type of person who, when you have trouble sleeping, recalls polar moments for crank configurations (instead of counting sheep), has brake parts in the bathtub waiting to be washed, a valve cover in the oven, AND your pantry consists of cases of ramen because you are saving up for a portable mill because your work IS better than the local shop…

I’d say give it a shot because if you truly love what you do for a living, you won’t have to work another day in your entire life.

Other things (money, fame, groupie hoes etc) should be treated as secondary but will come if you stick with it.

If groupie hoes is #1 on your list, ignore the other garbage above, just learn how to disconnect the ATTESSA so you can drift an R33 around an R34 and you should be good. Han told me so. :thumb

Epic post, and agreed on all accounts. I miss Han.