UTI VS. HVCC AutoMotive

I’m trying to figure out what college i should go too.

I heard good things about both schools

I would like to know how it is to go to HVCC’s AUTO program

what the ratio for Classwork/ Shop work is

What you mostly learn. shit like that

To me HVCC’s regular program was a joke.
Way too much time spent in the classroom and not enough hands on work. There were teachers that just didnt give a shit and goofed off as bas as the students.

If youre gonna go there get into the GM or Chrysler program. Those are better than the regular program and they put you in a job.

Neither, theres simply not enough demand. Also if you pick up a paper, dealerships arent hiring. and if they do, there looking for a couple years + EXP.

wyotech is a great school ,uti is a joke i had a full ride for there ,went and didnt like it ,its a overglorified boces .hvcc isnt bad as a starter school but just do wyotech and be done with it .just my oppinion

This.

I went to HVCC and did their automotive program and graduated with a degree.

I then went on to UTI afterwards and that school is the biggest joke. As 88slowmarrow said, it’s a glorified BOCES program. I completed 6 months of the program and then bailed on it.

I moved back to the area and didn’t want to pursue anything in the automotive industry because I saw it taking a dive into the shitter.

If it were me and I was in a position to go back to school, I would take up something in engineering or focus something around the Luther Forest program HVCC is part of. There are going to be a lot of jobs offered with that.

Cars are your hobby, don’t make them your paycheck too.

Why I didn’t want to get into it. :thumbup

Cars are your hobby, don’t make them your paycheck too.

So true. Like said before, diesel tech or some kind of engineering

did the gm program… graduated… enjoyed it… i now work in sales

working on others peoples cars, especially at a dealership is the most ball busting pain in the ass aggravation you could get.

do something with computers and get a job at the AMD plant in 3 years

oh and FYI the Chrysler program was canceled about 2 years ago and to get into the GM program you have to be with a GM dealer before they will take you into the program

I would not bother with any automotive school. In the end you are going to hate the job and wish you did some thing else. It may seem like fun now but the fun ends very quickly

That’s what my dad has said to me and any of my friends going to automotive SO many times.

Yea, JRubino was spot on. I was always told this!

The most important thing is enjoying what you do for a living. Just because you like to mod your car doesn’t mean you would like to fix other people’s shit.

Figure out what makes you get up the morning and actually enjoy waht you do. Live will be much better.

Honestly i just enjoy making cars faster.

I think everyone on here can relate to that

do you do alot of engine and tranny work at HVCC?

Id rather learn more of motor and tranny then diagnostics

There’s one class for each. You learn quite a bit, but they are only 15 weeks a piece. If you’re serious about wanting an automotive career, look into SUNY Morrisville. You can do a lot of engine and tranny work, and fabrication if you take a 4 year program.

You and the rest of the forum, bud. What’s your goal after graduation? More schooling? Jumping into the field or trying to start your own business?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to get some kind of engineering degree? I always wanted to do fab work.

Yes. I’m going back to engineering this semester. SO much more job opportunity.

Trust me as someone who got into the automotive industry with a passion for cars, DONT DO IT lol. Unless you have alot of money to start your own buisness, its hard to make a decent dollar in the auto industry now. I was a body tech/painter for 4years, and made ok money, but imo most are dead end jobs.

UTI costs wayy too much money, and isnt worth it at all. Ive seen alot of clowns come out of there not knowing much more than a HS kid that went to Albany Vo-tec.

Just my .02, look into something else, and if it still strikes your interest take a class or two on motors as electives.

Fab work sounds interesting

But i believe my real passion would be with motor work

And like other people said its not about the money, but loving what you do everyday… the money helps though

you can take extra motor classes at hvcc?

listen im a mechanic ,i absofuckinlutly hate it .that bein said does this sound fun ,workin on other peeps p.o.s , gettin soaked in oil ,antifreeze ,water snow,and other fluids sound fun keep readin .in order to make money in this field ya either gotta be a, good at what ya do ,b catch the ride of a lifetime at a slammin shop ,c “and i use this loosely” open your own shop . as right now the auto field is hurt work isnt there unless your well established or suttin else is workin for ya ,can it turn around ? yeah but its a hell job with lots of stress and havin to understand multiple runnin systems as ya cant be a engine tech or a chassis tech anymore cause its all tied into one another in new cars and huess what its gettin worse so think long and hard if ya wanna do this before ya blow a lot of money on nothing