Vehicle Tracking devices

Today at work i was asked if i know of anywhere/anything about Vehicle tracking devices.

I dont even know where to start here, but can anyone give me any insight as far as to how much or where you can get them i would appreciate it

I’ve seen alot of GPS tracking systems for fleets at trade shows. Some of the names escape me right now. Schneider National trucking uses GPS, for example. Check equipment magazines. They always have ads.

Try directed electronics,.

just installed one of these not to long ago, easy install, plugs into the OBD port and antannas go behind the A-pillar. Dunno bout buying one individually, meaning not fleet…

networkcar

:ugh: i hate dealing with anything associated with Reynolds and Reynolds

onstar :kekegay:

Fleethawk is a nice one that we use at work. It’s ran by Skytel, the pager company. Basically has a dedicated website you can sign on to and at any time locate where your vehicles are, you can set up “fences” so that if they leave thatarea you get notified (like if they shouldnt be leaving allegheny co) or you can set up speed limit things, ifthey go over 75 you get notified, etc…

Pretty neat for us

I installed and used a Thunderbird fleet management system at a surface lignite mine in TX:
http://www.tbirdpac.com/fleetmgt/fleetmgt.htm

It might be a little too mining-oriented for your needs, but it might give you a place to start. The entire package for our entire fleet (12 haul trucks, 4 loaders, 2 shovels, etc) was right around $5 million. It used DGPS, so we had a base station installed and multiple repeater stations placed around the property. Probably not practical for an area bigger than 30,000 acres. Ours covered an area of 40 square miles pretty well.

My dad just uses the GPS tracking on the nextel phones his delivery trucks use at CarQuest in cranberry.

That sucks… We had that for about 2 weeks before we realized it was about as useful as tits on a bull

DEI makes something that you can install in the car and then track via computer right up to speeds traveled, distance, and address

got a URL?