Vending, good business idea or no?

Believe me college nowadays is overrated and you’re doing better than most graduates.

I’m gonna make a thread about this soon but look up “college conspiracy” on YouTube.

While it’s no conspiracy, and the guy does have an agenda (fear mongering to get people to buy gold and silver ironically) the video is based on facts and makes some good points.

Friend of a friend makes a killing with an E-Cig kiosk in one of the malls around here. Don’t know if you looked into that.

look into renting a kiosk in a mall or into the e ciggs? There used to be a cash for gold spot in colonie center by the movies, they closed down within 2 months I think and I wouldnt wanna compete with the russians in Crossgates becuase… I already buy there gold lol… E ciggs I dont know much about exept that I heard theyll be banned soon?

Yeah i just googled it and it looks like they’re now banned in NY as of a few months ago. I guess it was one of those things you had to get in on the ground floor to make your money before the big brother crackdown. However I think you can still sell them online? Might be something worth looking into to supplement your cash 4 gold business.

There’s one of these stands in the Wilton mall still. It actually just recently opened up.

Interesting. Thought they were banned in NY. Must’ve skirted the law somehow.

if you guys want a great investment. invest into a morge or funeral home everyone dies garanteed money

shud buy gearhead… i heard he did well with it:lol

way too much work and probably all diff kind of codes and laws youve gotta follow that were not aware of.

Dude, I absolutely love cars, bikes, quads ext but id look pretty stupid opening up a mechanic shop when all I can do is change spark plugs and wires lol… Im not the best mechanic in the world at all. I wish I coulda learned man, id be rich already… I always see crazyy deals on craigslist of cars needing minor work and wondering why mechanic shops are too lazy to buy them, fix them and sell them for a couple thousand dollar profit.

it was kind of a joke…gearhead went under as far as i know…dude never answered his phone or returned a phone call

Not as easy as you make it sound. Most of those minor problems turn into major problems and then that couple thousand profit turns into a couple thousand in debt. If it was that easy A LOT more people would do it.

o, I never went to gearhead so idk, I thought they did good?

I know people that do it, I just dont know why more dont. A mechanic shold be able to diagnose on the spot whats wrong so what do you mean minor problems turn into major ones? I’ve seen cars I could sell for 8000-9000 for like 3000 needing a head gasket… Yeah, a head gasket is crazy work but its AALLL labor which means its AALL profit when done… And these cars dirt cheap becuase they need bodywork? Rust repair is detailed yes but dents and shit is no big deal… I just dont get it.

Look on the for sale section on here and check ot the third gen eclipse im selling… That car was for sale for monnthhss before I bought it… I cant believe a mechanic/body guy didnt pick that car up need nothing but bodywork… Guy was asking $1,500, I got em down to $1,000, ripped the amps and subs out and sold them for $300 making me only $700 into this car. $500 in bodywork and you could sell that car for $4,500

More people don’t do it because it’s high risk.

Anything high risk has a high potential profit, but people don’t like to take risks.

theres very good logic to this statement actually… makes good sense lol.

It’s business 101 :rofl

Stocks and bonds = the safer they are the lower the payout % of dividends.

Lotto = extreme risk, extreme payout.

Buying random broken cars that nobody wants to fix = high risk.

Which is kind of what I was trying to tell you…you take a HUGE risk buying a cheap car to fix up and flip for money, yes the listing might say its just a bad head gasket then you fix that and the starter is bad, then a break line goes, etc.

But yes if you get lucky then it can be very profitable, but when you don’t have a steady income and have monthly bills ie mortgage, insurance, car payment, bike payment, utilities…then chancing your income is not the best of ideas LOL

I know people that do it, I just dont know why more dont. A mechanic shold be able to diagnose on the spot whats wrong so what do you mean minor problems turn into major ones? I’ve seen cars I could sell for 8000-9000 for like 3000 needing a head gasket… Yeah, a head gasket is crazy work but its AALLL labor which means its AALL profit when done… And these cars dirt cheap becuase they need bodywork? Rust repair is detailed yes but dents and shit is no big deal… I just dont get it.

Look on the for sale section on here and check ot the third gen eclipse im selling… That car was for sale for monnthhss before I bought it… I cant believe a mechanic/body guy didnt pick that car up need nothing but bodywork… Guy was asking $1,500, I got em down to $1,000, ripped the amps and subs out and sold them for $300 making me only $700 into this car. $500 in bodywork and you could sell that car for $4,500[/quote]

Sorry not to sound like a dick, but you really have no idea what your talking about. It’s completely impossible to just look at a used car and know everything that it’s going to need. I work for a dealer and see how bad they get screwed on used vehicles all the time even newer ones. Until you put something on a lift and spend a minimum of an hour looking at it your really just guessing. Thats why you don’t see more people doind stuff like that. On the other side of the coin a guy I work with has bought a few cars that needed a lot of work from customers and fixed them himself and made a few grand. However he had already evaluated the vehicles on the clock and knew what they needed. Problem is you run into issues like nonfunctioning electronic issues on a lot of vehicles and it cost major $$ to fix.

Sorry not to sound like a dick, but you really have no idea what your talking about. It’s completely impossible to just look at a used car and know everything that it’s going to need. I work for a dealer and see how bad they get screwed on used vehicles all the time even newer ones. Until you put something on a lift and spend a minimum of an hour looking at it your really just guessing. Thats why you don’t see more people doind stuff like that. On the other side of the coin a guy I work with has bought a few cars that needed a lot of work from customers and fixed them himself and made a few grand. However he had already evaluated the vehicles on the clock and knew what they needed. Problem is you run into issues like nonfunctioning electronic issues on a lot of vehicles and it cost major $$ to fix.[/quote]

You dont sound like a dick, YOU sound like you have no idea what your talking about… Heres a solution to the second thing you said, check this out… DONT BUY THE FANCY CARS THAT HAVE ALOT OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS! Forrrr instance, I tend to look for the civics, integras, hyundais ext as they are simple and not Audis and Rangerovers that have a million problems (tho I did buy a rangerover cuase i got it cheap as fuck). I am not the most mechanicly inclined guy in the world but I make real good money on the cars I buy and sell.
My most recent cars

95 civic, paid $1,000, sold $2,200 (sold in 3 days)
99 eclipse, paid $600, new bumper for $100 +$150 paint, sold for $3,000 (sold in a week)
91 civic hatch turbo, paid $700, sold for $1,800 (sold in a day and a half)
97 cbr 900rr, bought $2,000, sold $3,000 (planned on keeping it so I waited a while)
06 Ranger, bought $2,500 sold for $6500 with less then a g into it (the engine work took a while to do so maybe 2 months, plus i was gonna keep it for the vending business)
2001 Hyundai Elantra, paid $750, sold for $1500 (sold in 4 hours of buying it)

Also, any good mechanic can tell for the most part by looking at a car what need sto be done to it… I bought an 07 civic about a yr or two ago when i first joined this site… It was in a front end collision and needed a bunch of shit… I paid my mechanic to check it out with me and give me a quote on the spot before I bought it… No lift, no diagnostic tools no nothing… He gave me a 100% price with just a cell phone that told him how much parts were… I bought that car with 27k on it or some shit for $3500, put $1,500 into it and sold it for $8500.

NOW, the moral of this story is that I SUCK at working on cars and even III can buy and sell them without loosing money… I’ve never lost money on a car in my LIFE exept for my 540 which I thought id keep forever so went balls out.

Ok so you can buy and flip shitboxes. Thats great and props to you for doing it, but to actually run a successful used car dealership it’s a little more complicated then you realize. You do know that if you went legit you have to give a minimum of a 30 day/1k milage guarantee on absolutely everything on the car and the length of time and milage increases if the age and milage is bellow a certain point. Your also technically breaking the law if you never title the vehicle in your name and your not a registered dealer. Again I know you’ve been selling cars this way for a long time and will probably continue to do so successfully, but if the tax collectors ever figured it out since I’m sure you claim none of the cash sale income you sir will be royally fucked. Not hating in anyway shape or form just posting counter point in the conversation.

Oh and your mechanic must be freaking amazing and have x-ray vision to be able to diagnose and quote something over the phone, sounds to me like you make out cause you buy shit dirt cheap and have a guy that hooks you up with cheap repairs and you get out of the stuff before anything major can go wrong.

Oh I 110% agree that dealerships arent all its caked out to be and yeah, I know all about the 30 day if mileage on a vehicle has less than 100k on it, I meant regular mechanics who dont own dealerships. What also sucks about a dealership and the reason I dont have my own is the fact that you cant just let a buyer write there own bill of sale with a cheaper price… I see dealers AALLL the time loosing deals becuase there buying a car for 8-9k and dont wanna pay the $700 tax. On a private deal they can write whatever the fuck they want as long as I have my own record and bill of sale saying the true amount I sold for lol. I think you misunderstood about what I said about my mechanic… He drove down to personally see the vehicle, what I meant was all he needed was a cell phone to check the price of the PARTS needed to repair the car… No special tools were needed to give me an est.