VW Cabriolet Project for the wifey

Picked up some parts I forgot at the coater today. And dropped off a bunch more which should be ready next week.

Im a bit skeptical of the e-coat holding up to fuel, even though he claimed it would be good. Im going to soak the small piece in a cup of fuel and see what happens over the next couple weeks.

I also lined up some fuel safe epoxy that Im going to use to seal wires through the hole where the connector once was in the flange of the sending unit.

Dan

Thread updated to post 109. Man this thing was a fucking disaster.

Dan

Thread now 100% updated for anyone who wants to go back and look at what a fucking disaster this thing was to start.

Dan

I seem to be waiting for parts for several different projects so last night I decided to mess around with the motor mounts, and the lower radiator hard line I made years back but never finished grinding smooth.

Rad hard line made from SS weld els. I put a few little tacks around the lip in place of a bead. I think it should work well enough

Had to grind the inside a bit as I didnt have (and still dont) a back purge setup. Someday.

Ground all of the stamping marks off the edges of the front motor mount, and smoothed the factory welds a little.

Welded up and smoothed the unneeded holes in the top of the trans mount.

I didnt like the two little V notches in the master cylinder brace so I welded them up and ground them smooth as well.

Orig (ok the orig pic sucks, but its all I have. see the two tiiiny little V’s i the middle of the bracket? ya, those)

Much better

Dan

Ive been busy doing other vehicle maintenance, and mowing, so not a lot of progress lately. Im still waiting on my last batch of parts from the coater as well.

I did, however, finally get the U piece bent for the subframe. Will allow plenty of access for the surge tank. If youll notice I also previously removed the rear cross bar. It just didnt allow enough room to get the gas tank in or out. I may move it to the front, still undecided.

Dan

Wow! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Any ETA in mind?

Unfortunately no. Everytime I put an ETA on it I miss it by years. So Ive decided to just keep on working on it, and when its done its done.

I would like to have it done before my daughter graduates HS in 6 years, lol. She keeps giving me shit about it.

Dan

I was going to tell you to seek therapy due to the project car. I would wait on the therapy until the daughter crushes your soul and get a two for one.

Pretty sure escaping to his ridiculous garage and working on this car is his therapy.

Yup. Its pretty awesome to just walk out and work on any number of projects without having to pick one up, or move one outside, whatever.

My problem is having too many projects. Since Im always doing a ton of shit other than working on cars.

Dan

Nothing much to report unfortunately, Ive been swamped with other nonsense.

I picked up a pile of parts from the coaters a week or three ago.

Last night I managed to get the rack back together.

I also ordered a bunch of parts so I can finish up the surge tank fabrication. Most are due today.

Dan

Decided to say F it and go forward with one Girling and one Lucas front caliper for now.

Spent about an hour last night sanding off the visible casting lines on all 4 calipers and hangers. I just need to pop the pistons out of the fronts and they will all be ready for powder.

Dan

-Cleaned up a bunch more parts this weekend and put them on the “done” shelf, which is getting quite full. Mainly just dirty OEM parts that Im reusing.

-Welded up a dent in the charge piping, and buffed out all the mandrel tooling marks in prep for powder.

-Worked a little more on the floor mods to allow clearance for the surge tank and piping. Pics tomorrow.

-Repaired a broken tail light. Also razor bladed scraped then wet sanded the words off of them. Im going to be attempting to get the amber to look red using some translucent candy grape paint, then a light tint and good clear to finish them off.

-Painted the IC black. Several coats on the tanks, just a few light coats on the core itself.

Yesterday my daughter and I finally started working on the VW pedal car we picked up a couple years ago. She did most of the work documenting and disassembling it. The plan is to paint it to match the cabby at some point. Ill be dropping off the frame parts to powder tomorrow. The body is going to need quite a bit of work. And we may have to either source or custom make a windshield and turn signals, else attempt to fill the holes.

Dan

Finished modifying the floor for the fuel system. Removing the pinch weld here allowed more room for the surge tank and for the lines to route to the rocker area.

I failed to get a before pic but it looked just like the drivers side shown here.

And after. Was difficult to get a good shot of, but oh well.

I have a solid plan for the fuel filter mount. I should have that and maybe the surge tank mounts done thursday.

Dan

After more time than I care to comment on I finally have the fuel filter in place and the surge tank welded up and the mounting brackets done. Now I can finally order the hose ends I need to get it all plumbed up. I did get some 3/8" NICOPP to make the new hard lines with a couple weeks ago. Probably start on that later next week after I make a tubing straightener.

Fuel filter bracket. Trimmed a little of the lip off the pinch weld, cut a notch in the bracket, and slipped it over and welded in place.

Finished up the tubes for the subframe bracing and mounting tabs for the surge tank. I still need to bend up some plates for the front supports I sectioned as well as to tie into the floor pan in a few locations, but at least the tubes are set.

In order to route the fuel lines from the rocker area, instead of their normal routing I had to flatten a section of the one rib in the floor. Was really hard to get a decent pic of this.

Surge tank. Im a little rusty welding aluminum but it turned out ok and should be plenty good enough. On the mounting bracket I also did a 3/4" plug weld in the middle to the tank, just ground it smooth after. The crazy angle of everything makes for clean hose routing and clearance for the chassis etc. It wasnt my first choice but I think it worked out in the end.

Dan

Wanted to make a little more room for a battery in the trunk.

Cut a hole. This took quite a while to get a nice fit.

Found some 14ga steel in the scrap bin at work. Made it into this.

It fits!

Need to do a little work on this edge to tie it in, but shouldnt be too bad.

Dan

Jesus, nice work as always. I envy your craftsmanship

In an effort to keep you motivated I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your updates.

I’m sure i’m not the only one that feels the same way, despite the lack of replies. Keep it up!

Thanks guys!

Ill keep posting as I know people are looking, but honestly a lot of these updates are pretty boring, lol.

Hopefully they will start to get more exciting as it moves along

Dan

Battery box is 3/4 welded in now. Im probably going to put the car down to do the other side so Im not welding it all upside down.

Couldnt just leave the battery tray a big flat box, so I extended the ribs from the well into the box. It was a quite a bit of work that no one will ever really see, but it was worth it. Im going to seam seal the edges to round them up a little more, plus Im chip guarding the whole underside so I think it will look pretty seamless once done.

Dan