VW Cabriolet Project for the wifey

Man, talk about ridiculous attention to detail. :tup:

Your builds are amazing. I am actually moving to the buffalo area for work. I hope to see your stuff on the road sometime. Keep up the great work!

crazy work on this car.
you’re right on the ribs on that box…
no one will ever know/notice/care…but it probably feels so much better knowing it was done haha

Thanks guys. :tup:

Stopped by the powder coaters friday. Not much was done, just the charge pipes in wrinkle black, and some of the pedal car parts in ecoat.

I also picked up some 2.5" 0.125 wall square tubing to use for the subframe braces.

Sectioned in half, which was a pain. Had to do two passes on the band saw as half was a little tall still.

Perfect fit

Cut some notches

Turned this mess

Into this

And made some plates to tie the rear into the floor

Then it was time to weld everything together. First though, I desperately needed to change my welding helmet shields. Slight difference…

Welded up what I could while it was on the car.

Then removed the whole thing, which slid off easily. Total weight is 36lbs, which I didnt think was so bad.

Then I spent a couple hours finishing the rest of the welding, including some dome caps for the rocker rails

Still fits!

Some time this week I hope to get it welded on once I get it and some parts of the car primed.

Feels good to be close to having this “little” project nearly wrapped up.

Dan

What did you use to cut the notches? They are very well done

Band saw, abrasive disc, and carbide burr in a die grinder. I used a piece of tubing i cut at the right angle to trace the shape onto the square tube.

All the tubing I notch with a pos HF notcher, and tweak as needed with the carbide burr.

Dan

One day, many years from now, I hope to be alive to see the finish of this project. :stuck_out_tongue:

I admire your attention to detail.

I have the same hope.

and thanks

Dan

I seriously continue to be impressed by this thing. Really nice work, Dan.

Thanks Jason.

Forgot that I also picked up the fan shroud from powder a couple weeks ago, found it in the truck the other night.

Built a dolly to roll the body around for when I start priming and doing bodywork etc.

Finally removed the rear windows, window trim, and roll bar padding / trim etc. About all thats left is the windshield and door strikers.

And FINALLY I got the calipers powder coated. Since they required a little masking and care to be taken during blasting (bores) I did them myself using our small setup at work. To mask the bores during blasting and powder I bought some big tapered silicone plugs, they simply pressed in and worked great. My powder guy was nice enough to give me a few pounds of powder to do this and whatever else I might need. For my first time coating something they came out really nice, but its so simple really.

Dan

Looks great!

Matte red looks awesome. Where did you buy the silicone plugs for the bores?

Thanks. I originally wanted wrinkle red, but my guy only has wrinkle black so I went with the texture red instead. Im diggin it.

I got the plugs from McMaster.

Dan

Powdercoating is easier than spray paint

Sure is. The first time I didnt get enough coverage, but that was easily fixed on the second thing. Otherwise, it couldnt be easier.

Dan

Awesome progress! Do you have any info on the bench/table with the HF 44s underneath? That looks like a pretty sweet setup.

I made it. See here for the start of it (spans a few pages): http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?234610-My-shop-barn-build-thread/page9

Dan

Very cool, thanks!

Lots of progress this weekend. My girls were busy with dance and work and what not so I had more or less the whole weekend in the shop.

Assembled the calipers.

Fronts are super simple.

Rears take a little more work to get the internal ebrake assemble back in. Its not hard really, just a little annoying.

Then I decided it was time to test fit the MMP big brake adapter brackets. Turns out they typically require a little rework of the knuckle, mine were no exception.

After some careful grinding and filing.

Then, because I cant leave well enough alone I spent 30 mins smoothing the mold lines on the knuckles. Now I can drop these off to be powder coated (again) this week.

Next it was time to try out the Master Series Silver primer that I got for the subframe and other parts of the chassis.

First I spent an eternity scuffing the entire thing with 80 grit. Then brushed on two coats. I didnt need it to be perfect as Im going to be chip guarding the entire bottom of the car including the brace. Im super impressed by this stuff. After just a couple hours I tried to scrape a little off with my knife. I really had to work at it just to scratch down to metal. :tup:

Finally, as its about time to start on the hard fuel lines I whipped up a tubing straightener.

I got some cheap acetal pulleys from mcmaster, then turned them on the lathe to fit the 3/8" tubing, drilled a few holes in two pieces of aluminum angle, and bolted the whole assembly to my bench vise. It likely wasnt necessary for the NICOPP tubing, but Im sure it will come in handy in the future as well.

And it looks like Im going to need a better bender for this NICOPP. Probably going to order a Ridgid instrument bender today.

Dan

That tubing straightener is too cool.