With the column done it was time to get back to the trans mounts and shifter bits.
When I first test fit the 02A S&P mounts I noticed that while they fit fine, they seemed to locate the motor in a different spot than the OE mounts for the 020. This was not acceptable as I had already done the exhaust among other things with it in the original position. I struggled with a way to locate it the same but eventually came up with this.
Installed the original 020 trans and mounts, and used my hydraulic table and wooden cradle to hold it in place with the upper trans mount removed. Then made a jig that located the trans mount to the body.
With that set I pulled the motor back out then made another jig to act like the trans mounts on the body. I made a wooden disc to take place of the rubber trans mount insert as I didnt want to press it in and have it damaged from welding etc.
And there we have the difference between the mount I bought and where I need it. The sharpie markings were my best guess based on some measurements I was trying do do with the transmissions on the bench, not bad.
Cut the mount up. and started welding in new sides. I did them in two pieces, welded top and bottom as I didnt have the correct box tubing. A couple of 0.025" ss spacers were used between one of the legs and the trans to allow space for paint/ powder.
The we skip a bunch of steps where I weld in extra steel to even out the top, then some silicon bronze for the radii and fillets.
Clearance for the reverse switch
Close up of the finish.
I do need to take about 0.1" off the bowtie piece of the Diesel Geek shifter plate so it doesnt interfere with the mount. Most people window the side of the mount but it doesnt look as good and since Im not using the stock shift linkage its just not necessary.
Up next the shift cables.
First test fit them with the oe trans bracket and they fit perfectly.
However, when I went to double check the fit of the charge pipe there was an issue since when I did the turbo setup there were no cables…
I decided to lower the cable bracket vs smashing in the charge pipe. But first I needed to remove this:
Cut up the oe bracket and welded it to a new base plate.
Added some sil-brz and created a nice fillet and finished.
I also had to tweak the lower trans mount by redrilling the holes in a slightly new spot to get it to fit, but no pics.
Up next: Intercooler mount.