VW Dieselgate - No More VW Diesel Vehicles In the US?

Those people that live in sniff test states have been passing the test just fine without a fix for all these years so I’m not sure how the sniff test is going to force them to get the fix. The whole point of what VW did was to make the cars pass the test. :slight_smile:

Tesla Model III looking mighty fine rn!

Just went from bad to worse. It’s not just a US spec issue. Instead of a half million cars now they’ve admitted it’s 11 million cars worldwide. Volkswagen already setting aside $7.2 billion dollars to cover costs and saying that amount “may increase as investigations continue”. That’s press release spin for, “we be fucked!”.

And CEO Martin Winterkorn has already fallen on his sword.

It was a real solid idea till the got caught.

They needed a better backstory

@Beck doesn’t VW use that blue fluid bmw&benz are supposedly being required to use now? wouldn’t that stuff eliminate a lot of the emitted pollutants? or is that stuff not mandatory yet? idk anything about diesel.

It seems like that’s the root of the problem. VW came into the US market bragging about their magic clean diesel that could pass the emissions test without all that complicated urea injection everyone else had to use. Come to find out the magic was simply cheating the test.

Where do they go from here? Maybe retro-fitting this injection system into 11 million cars. $$$$$ Mega Becks. Switch the cars to run in EPA mode all the time? Obviously if that didn’t severely affect performance they wouldn’t have installed this cheat in the first place. If they go that route expect major lawsuits from consumers for decreased performance, diminished value etc. Again, $$$$ Mega Becks. All this is before the governments from various countries carve off their pound of flesh in fines.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the 17% stock loss yesterday and 17.6% so far today, totaling 25 billion euro’s of devaluation in just 2 days.

DENY DENY DENY

haven’t we learned anything from Shaggy?

I think they have adblue on all of the 2016 models, which from what understand are being held at port, because the EPA was refusing to issue letters of conformity until this issue is clarified.

They had it on the larger tdi’s, passat and toureg before now, but VW said the smaller engines could meet the regs without it… obviously that’s not true.

All the speculation about how they’re going to fix it is pretty interesting. A software fix is likely going to negatively impact performance and fuel efficiency, so I can’t imagine a lot of people are going to want to have that done.

I’m sure there’s a decent portion of people that bought tdi’s based on the “clean diesel” claim, I only bought mine for the fuel efficiency. Only having to fill up every 600 miles or so is pretty fucking sweet.

I assume this is going to be the biggest issue since the person was sold a car that does X mpg and X HP.

Yeah, they’ll either have a class action because of the fix, or have to retrofit the cars with an adblue system in order to maintain performance(which still might not be possible). I just don’t see how a retrofit would be the most economical option.

Volkswagen… the official car of the New England Patriots.

They where sold a car that was epa rated mpg correct? So they will be getting the mpg the window sticker stated.

Are you following this thread at all?

If they’re messing with emissions controls its more then likely going to change the MPG when this issue is resolved.

If all HP and/or MPG tests were performed in EPA Test Mode, then the numbers shouldn’t change with a software fix to lock in the test mode programming. If that’s not the case, then they’ll most definitely be facing repercussions for false information. Hyundai had a similar issue some time back because their cars weren’t hitting the advertised MPG numbers.

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/aboutsettlement

If VW gamed the emissions configuration when the EPA tested it to pass emissions and the EPA requires them to change the computer/whatever it could very well change the actual MPG after the fix.

Touaregs are the only models to have used adblue in the previous models. 2015 and back.

Right, it could … but it’s likely that EPA MPG estimates were calculated during a time when the “test mode” was enabled. So if the “fix” is to revert all cars to the same test mode programming that was on when the EPA tested the car, then the EPA MPG estimates would probably remain unchanged. Horsepower ratings are less likely to be the same, but HP ratings are already not regulated well.

Again,

IF the fixed car == EPA test car, then MAYBE VW is in the clear with rated MPG
else if the fixed car /= EPA test car, then MPG estimates are likely to change and VW is going to be subject to Class Action Lawsuit

The MPG readings are all correct (based on the cheat readings) and people were actually experiencing 15+ more miles per gallon than advertised. Which would make it harder for people to claim “I was supposed to get this and am now getting this”. When in reality, they were reaping the benefits of 50+ mpg with a window sticker saying 35mpg.

Hyundai was saying 29 mpg and they were getting 20.

Right, but you weren’t sold actual MPG, you were sold the EPA City/Highway/Combined number that was printed on the window sticker, a number the EPA came up with while it was running in cheat mode during the test. That probably explains why VW diesels generally beat their EPA numbers, but I’m not sure that gives customers a right to claim they’re entitled to a car that got better than it’s EPA numbers simply because it had been getting better than it’s EPA numbers. I do know that a bunch of people that were getting 45-50 mpg that suddenly start getting 35 mpg after a government mandated “fix” aren’t going to be happy and in the US unhappy=calling my lawyer.

Hyundai had a previous settlement for false horsepower figures as well.

Also, most manufacturers self certify emissions. The EPA doesn’t test every car.