VW Dieselgate - No More VW Diesel Vehicles In the US?

interested to see wtf happens. claims of 37,500 per vehicle/over 18billion …i just don’t see that happening, but I’m sure it still won’t be cheap.

maybe i am ignorant and don’t care enough about the environment, but this wouldn’t stop me from buying a VW.

I really don’t think it’s going to stop anyone from buying one. If you want a diesel, you have very limited options in the US market and VW is the best at it.

It certainly won’t be $18b. I’m guessing a hair over $3b.

ive actually been looking into a mk6 golf tdi to replace the e30 since I put on so many miles out here…

I’m sure that will be VW’s defense, but in the end I don’t think it will ultimately matter that much what the window sticker says. It’s common knowledge that the cars typically for exceed the EPA sticker MPG. Sales people even mention it. If that was a considerable factor for someone purchasing the vehicle. It’s going to be cheaper for them to settle than fight it.

Total speculation, but I don’t know if the emissions cheat would have even been active when they were certifying the MPG or the HP/Torque numbers, especially since that’s submitted by the manufacturer to the EPA.

Brent’s Passat has AdBlue.

This why I don’t like buying stock. Who could have predicted this? I need to be in control of my money. :smiley:

Its a great time to buy VW stock!

I stand corrected. 15 Sportwagens do as well and new beetles. Product knowledge isn’t really my gig.

• Updated - - -

Meh, yes and no. The Miles per Gallon Gap - Consumer Reports Magazine

The window sticker is what is advertised to the consumer and should be expected (within reason, ie Hyundai).

That P/E is killer right now! This could be painful and hurt the brand but I dont see a future earning shakeup big enough for a ~10 P/E. Give it a little more dip and this is a siqqqqqq call options play.

I am shocked they didn’t deny it or blame it on some intern code or debug code that ended up shipping without them pushing a new update to it.

How it works:

This has been going on for a bit. This isn’t something they came to VW about three days ago.

How do emmisions of say a Jetta TDI compare to like a 1500 Silverado?

you mean the ecotec3? the most fuel efficient gas V8 pickup engine ever?
loljk - you have a point - I’m sure theres worse vehicles out there. its probably more the deceit that is the issue too

IDK what the ecotec3 is, but I’m talking emmisions here, not MPGs.

this may be the first time I purchase stock. where do you think the bottom will be? further discussion in the game over for financial market thread?

x2, just saw it was down from 51 in April, to 35 before the emissions scandal. I wouldn’t mind jumping in at 15 and buying a 1000 shares to bank.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35593&stc=1

If some of the numbers are correct, this is really messed up. I saw one where cars are limited to 1,000 units of emissions but some reports are saying that a car with this hack was putting out 60,000+ of that each year.

I’m not 100% sure of this, but I think the emission standards are the same for cars and light trucks. So many PPM of various pollutants. The difference would be that a larger engine would produce a higher volume, but the ratio of pollutants would still be the same. If the reporting on this was correct, and the the TDI’s are emitting 10-40 times the allowable limit, the silverado would be emitting far less NOx than the tdi’s.

I think the diesel combustion process produces much higher levels of NOx than regular gas.