VW Passat TDI wagon - your opinions/problems/insights

So I am looking at picking up a 2005 Passat TDI wagon automagic and would like to see if any of you guys can offer any insight on them. how is the reliability of them, any problems that may arise, and you overall opinion of how they stack up against some of the other moderately priced TDIs that are available.

This one in particular is white with tan interior. A one owner with 200k on the clock, timing done at 160k, and looks to have had regular maintenance. Its priced reasonably near 8k and looks like it will fit my needs being a wagon that gets excellent fuel economy.

Thanks in advance!

I cant see spending $8k on anything with 200k miles.

im with you on that one , but if thats what they are worth ,you gotta pay to play .

Considering wayne just sold a similar tdi jetta for roughly the same cost I wouldn’t consider this a bad deal. The only thing I need is for it to be reliable like my volvo wagon. :slight_smile:

I would buy it just because its a rare car. You don’t see many passat tdi wagons

I’d disagree. At least with Wayne you know it’s been gone through 100% and is top notch

Lol true however these are worth just as much if not more. Nothing like the touch of the tdi wizard rofl! Plus id never go for 8 gs either.

I like the size of the passat vs the jetta though because its comparable to my v70… just with twice the mileage.

Yeah I sometimes do that, but I want to make sure that this isn’t another pita to maintain or is a unicorn of some sort. At least its not another allroad lol

tdiclub.com will have a good deal of info on it. same with http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q.htm

finding any decent tdis under 7k is almost impossible

a billion people searching craigslist all day for them lol

No, just one. HES A WIZARD

I guess there’s some major issues with the balance shafts on the motors in these things. If you have to do it, which you most likely will, its something to the tune of 1800 for parts and a pretty involved install… zoinks!

I’d love a new a3 tdi

It seems like every one Wayne gets he’s tearing apart or replacing he motor on them. Now he’s buying them cheap needing work obviously but they seem to always be around 200kmi. There must be a fairly common problem around that mileage

Those A3 TDIs are pretty nice. I just wish they were a bit less expensive. Then again they’re almost new still.

Yeah I’m definitely going to have to get connected wtih Wayne to see what the deal is. It seems most of the problems with the regular TDIs stem from lack of maintenance, but then again there are things you just can’t predict either. Also, the though of repairing a diesel at the dealership would be enough for me to want to sell the car for cheap too as most folks do. Thanksfully I’m not most people, but I still don’t want unnecessary work/expenses.

On my average used car I spend about $1500 to get everything done that it needs and take care of. I also do some preventative work as well. I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to that stuff, and because of it I’ve never been left stranded. Back to the point - I need some ammunition to help guide my purchase, and I also want to make sure I am prepared for any upcoming work/maintenance.

That chassis Passat is total garbage. I’m serious. I’ve owned 3 jetta/golf tdis and one of those generation passats… As well as 20+ other older vws.

I repeat: That chassis Passat is garbage. The suspensions all go bad and require (Audi priced) control arms, steering racks, etc etc etc $$$. I wish I could sugar coat it better, but they’re total fucking junk- especially with 200k on them and an automatic.

If you buy that car for $8k you will absolutely regret it. I can guarantee that you’ll lose thousands in maintenance the first year of ownership- especially if you’re not doing the work. I can’t say it any stronger- DO NOT BUY ANY B5.5 GENERATION PASSATS, EVER. ESPECIALLY at Ricky Retail blue book highest value.

Find a Jetta wagon. The amount of space you gain with the Passat is negligible. Just, for fucks sake, do not buy that Passat. Now you’ve got my blood pressure all fucked up, man. Thanks!

Edit- since this became a Wayne discussion and he’s never going to log in again, I should say that I’ve acted as his buyer for a few Tdis. He’ll vouch. I’ve also bought a car for Mad Rabbit. If you’re seriously shopping- I’m willing to scout out TDIs here in the Boston area. $50/per car and I’ll do a full third party report with a dozen pics. $.50/mile adder if it’s more than 20 miles from 02135.

Not really, Wayne just doesn’t sell junk. Makes sure it’s on point before he sells.

ROFL! you got some passion there! I know what you mean about these being crap. I had 2 Audi Allroads of this generation and I am all too familiar about how they just blow. I loved that AR, but hated that damn suspension. I can handle just about anything they throw at me as far as suspensions, but these motors are new to me. I know a bit about the regular jetta/golf diesels, but I’ve seen a few things that I don’t necessarily appreciate come up a lot. The Oil pump/balance shaft issue, then there are the collapsed lifters, worn cams/lifters, and then there’s the suspension. I always looks for different things, but I guess it’s always at what cost.

Thanks for the KK-esque rant!

Agree, It’s not that it’s junk, it’s really about how the average person won’t tackle that kind of work on a car… That’s where Wayne comes in, LOL!

Lol. Nbd. I absolutely hate b5/5.5 passats. I also added an edit to my previous post.

IMHO >2004 Jetta/Golf cars are the best Tdi for the money. Wayne will absolutely agree. I currently have a 2010 Jetta Tdi and it’s nice inside and is comfortable, but it’s still a pile of shit. All the newer motors are high maintenance and costly, not if-but when- they fail. You see so many 99-2003 jettas and golfs with 200-300+k miles because they’re stout as fuck.