Was Time Warner trying to scam me??

Ok so here’s what happened, sorry longish story coming. I have tv internet package, 15/1 internet. Works fine for month never a hiccup.

2 days ago I’m on my laptop and wifi connection goes limited connectivity. Go reset modem and router nothing wired connection to my desk top also does not work. Wire directly to computer from modem and it works. So I figure router crapped out its an older trendnet so it wouldn’t surprise me. Pick up a new router netgear n300 almost works then cuts out and does same as the other limited connectivity wired or wireless.

So now I call netgear first see if I was doing something wrong, keeps coming up cant find DNS error or DHCP maybe don’t remember exactly. Anyways they couldn’t help said contact service provider.

Get on the phone with TW service, first guy on phone for half hour says he needs to do somethings will put me on hold for a few minutes 15mins later he hangs up. Call back get some chick that doesn’t know what the internet is I hang up on her. Call back 3rd time get a guy and makes me go through the is the router plugged in, is the modem plugged in bla bla bla. Well after about an hour pretty much out of no where guy goes well you know if you upgrade your service to the turbo you probably wont have this problem any more. I go why don’t we worry about fixing my connection before you try to sell me something more. So next half hour is him trying to sell me different service which I keep saying no to. And I am about ready to lose my mind, so he finally goes well lets try your old router and see how that works. I hook it up he says please hold 30 seconds later he asked how the connection is working. Everything works, wired, wireless like a charm. First thing out of his mouth is well good we didn’t want you to have to waste money on a new router now you can return the new one and get your money back, and since you saved money on the router would you like to invest in the TW Turbo internet.

Now I’ve been on the phone for about 4 hours now, went out bought and now have to return a router and it all seems like it was a big scam. So I pretty much blow my top over the phone screaming at this dude.

Am I right to think this was a scam to try to get me to bump up my internet or what I really can’t comprehend what else it could have been other than they put a block on something to get me to call and then try to up sell me. Seems pretty ridiculous and makes me want to drop their service after only having it for a month.

I doubt they would do that, but try changing the dns servers in the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of the default time Warner ones. It can improve the reliability of your connection.

Thanks I’m pretty computer dumb so yea LOL but I should be able to figure that out.

Sounds frustrating… and suspect… but i’d be hard pressed to believe it’s a scam.

Upgrading a non-working connection isn’t going to do anything other than help some time warner guy fill his quote of upsells.

My only thought would be turbo requires a newer DOCSIS 3 modem and maybe they thought your old modem sucked?

OEM TW Interent here with no issues.

Have you tried resetting your netgear back to out of box config? I’ve had issues with the netgear stuff in the past with connectivity… If you replace the router, I’d go with a $60 Linksys

the answer to the question of “is time warner trying to scam me?” is always a resounding YES

incorrect. Turbo does not require Docsis 3.0 modem…

• Updated - - -

is Time Warner trying to scam you…No…are they doing their job and trying to keep their jobs by trying to upsell everyone or get fired? Yes

I forgot how the naming work is turbo just 15Mb?

And extreme is 30?

Is the router handing out DHCP addresses? If so, I’d probably start there and turn it off. The router will handle DHCP through the modem.

Extreme is 30 and the next higher is 50 both of those are Docsis 3.0 and require a different modem. I will say that ever since I purchased my own Motorola Surfboard 6141 and installed it my speeds have never been more rock steady even with just having standard roadrunner

Is the modem a sb510x?

Ditto don’t ever fall for that crap. So if you connect straight to the cable modem you have no issues? Could by chance post some config screenshots of your routers configuration.

Plug the modem into the computer and test it that way.

Time warner does not support your router, so they want you to test it this way anyways.

We had to upgrade our modem to a different one when we went from 50mb down to 300mb down here in Texas.