Wastegate problem

so my wastegates not opening up, car is spiking 20-30#. Before installing on the car I checked diaphragm, didnt notice and tears, I bench tested it with my weak ass air compressor , it was opening but seemed a little slug-ish , figured it was just my compressor. Installed on car and it will not open at all, its open dump so its pretty obvious its not working. I know i have the reference hooked up correctly to the side nipple, BC is currently bypassed trying to open on just spring. The WG did work fine once upon a time… its not a tial but a knock off, maybe its time to just toss it? Maybe as soon as exhaust passes through it and heats it up it just seizes up? Any ideas?

prolly hooked up wrong they usually dont ever seize up

Use a TiAL diaphragm and rebuild that shit. Knock-offs work fine, your shit is just broke.

Heat wont make it stick, unless there is something seriously messed up with it. Its a damn simple device really.

when you bench tested it, I assume you hooked up an air compress with an air tank, not a 12v shitter that plugs into a cig lighter and inflates a raft. lol Even if its a 5 gal piss pot compressor thst MORE than enough to test it.

just for shits, (since you are already overboosting it) swap the boost ref line to the other nipple, maybe you have it backwards and forgot how it once was… who knows. Either it solves your problem, or it doesnt make a lick of difference.

If you really think its heat, I know you shouldnt boost a cold car, but drive the car and get it up to temp. pop the hood, put a big fan on the turbo/wastegate and let it sit for an hour. it will cool down, but the block will hold the oil at a decent temp (safe enough). Start it and immediately boot it to see if it boosts correctly. Just do it once, and dont over rev it and due to somewhat cold oil temps.

Like JD said, knock offs are fine, they are made from the damn molds Tial used. Rebuild it for cheap if the above doesnt do squat and it should be good to go.

Probably blew the diaphragm out with the compressor
90psi ftl

True story bro.

my compressor is a weak piece of shit, no way i damged it that way, Yes the reference line is hooked directly to the side port . side port = opening, top port = closed . Ill try your idea KK w/ getting up to temp and trying to cool the WG and give it a shot. Also im going to try to pressurize it on the car. WHo knows maybe it just needs to be taken apart and the shit cleaned out? Maybe theres a lot of carbon or maybe the stem is loose and binding up? I know its a pretty simple device which is why it is pissing me off. Seems like im going to be getting a new WG, Anyone know where to get a good deal on a Tial 60mm? I could just be a cheap ass and get a knock off for the price of a tial diaphram.

btw thanks KK and Jdaniels and whoever else is helping, appreciate the input!

Yeah like steve said, I hope you dialed down the regulator on the compressor prior to blasting it. Also thats something you test on a bench or in your hand not on the car… the idea is to make sure the valve opens at xx psi that you set the compressor to, to simulate the turbo boosting. If the diaphram is torn, it wont seal and will not open becasue the boost pressure trying to move the valve is pissing right out the exhaust.

rebuild. or get another one. tial 60 is giant, for a med v6. i just got a precision 46mm for less than $300 irc, and it looks great… this is going on a 5.3L too btw. a little on the small side I guess people think, but Ill see how it goes.

Problem fixed! Just conditioned , oiled up and reseated the diaphragm, greased up the valve and it works perfect! Just need to install the BC now… hope it holds up!

BTW my terd air compressor only made 20 psi and takes about 2 minutes to build up to there … obv if it was a real compressor im not going to blast 150 psi through a wastegate diaphragm!

glad you fixed it so you can continue to get beat by pete for the rest of the season.

Good to hear. I knew it couldnt have been something that bad. If it worked prior to taking it off, it should work putting it back on.

good deal.

Wow at first i thought you were trying to bang a dry old premenopausal granny.

glad it worked out haha