Watch Crew: What to buy?

Personally, i don’t like any of those watches. As a semi-technical person, I appreciate what goes into making a fine watch, but i still don’t like a complex, busy face. I prefer a very clean, simple looking watch, unless it’s a skeleton.

There’s three things that make a nice watch, in my opinion.

1.) quality,
2.) simplicity
3.) the band needs to NOT BE leather, plastic, or rubber.

[quote=“The_Russian,post:80,topic:34295"”]

Your full of yourself.

[/quote]

*you’re

[quote=“The_Russian,post:80,topic:34295"”]

The point i was making was not about owning something that is going to increase or decrease in value. Its about using your money wiseley. After you buy a watch for 5k what do you have to show for it?

[/quote]

You have a watch worth 5k. Which means in 3 months…a year…2 years…when you get bored with it and want to sell, you can get back 90%+ of your money. Hell, if you buy the right ones, it’s even a good investment. As it is, if you buy used and resell, you’ll probably end up only eating the cost of shipping and maybe $100-200 here and there.

So, you might be laying out $5k, but how much is it actually costing you to rock a baller watch for a year? $100? $200? Even $500? Not too bad, IMO.

I don’t know how much money I’ll ever have at one point in my life yet. I can tell you one thing though now. A $100K watch will never interest me.

[quote=“krunklestilskin,post:79,topic:34295"”]

yes it is.

[/quote]

I was waiting for someONE to chime in.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:82,topic:34295"”]

You have a watch worth 5k. Which means in 3 months…a year…2 years…when you get bored with it and want to sell, you can get back 90%+ of your money. Hell, if you buy the right ones, it’s even a good investment. As it is, if you buy used and resell, you’ll probably end up only eating the cost of shipping and maybe $100-200 here and there.

So, you might be laying out $5k, but how much is it actually costing you to rock a baller watch for a year? $100? $200? Even $500? Not too bad, IMO.

[/quote]

If i had 5k to throw around and was looking for a wise investment… IRA, Stocks/ Bonds, Savings account, CD. 401K I see what The_Russian is trying to say… it wouldnt be in a watch. But to each their own

[quote=“91MR2,post:83,topic:34295"”]

I don’t know how much money I’ll ever have at one point in my life yet. I can tell you one thing though now. A $100K watch will never interest me.

[/quote]

You might say this now, but I know a few individuals that have 7 figure watch collections. I’m sure they never thought they would spend that much on watches.

There are watch cases that are worth more than most cars.

[quote=“jrod0187,post:84,topic:34295"”]

If i had 5k to throw around and was looking for a wise investment… IRA, Stocks, Savings account, CD. 401K I see what The_Russian is trying to say… it wouldnt be in a watch. But to each their own

[/quote]

What car do you drive? What was your previous car? I bet you could have invested a lot more if you were driving a 1995 Camry/Civic/Tercel. Pot meet kettle.

[quote=“jrod0187,post:84,topic:34295"”]

If i had 5k to throw around

[/quote]

but you don’t…:bye:

goes for the rest of you who “don’t get it” lol…its relative to what you make. ain’t your money he’s spending so enough w/ the useless “advice”

Why are you guys arguing about things that are entirely subjective?

a watch like these are not toys and they are not utilitarian… they are not even for telling time. They are a right of passage and a reflection of taste and personaility.

It is true, as someone mentioned, that more people will notice a nice suit. But you buy the watch because the RIGHT person will notice the watch. Who the RIGHT person is and what you buy are dependent on your environment.

I am sure in some social circles having the best heroin will make you king-shit.

It all depends on your enviroment. I get teased for my 240sx even though it will rape the shit out of anything anyone around me drives… but they dont value that… It’s all about granite kitchen counter-tops and trunk space.

watches are very very similar to cigars. How people can spend $500 on a single cigar that doesnt even taste that good is beyond most people. But if your boss is into cigars and you chill out with some fresh Cohiba’s that you’ve had in a hunidor for the past month… guess who’s down now?

speaking of which i did just buy a humidor and my boss IS into cigars.

edit… fuck the boss actually.

If you are looking to make that next big jump in your life and your at an function, gathering, street race whatever and you’re rolling with a Zenith, Cohiba, custom tailored suit with all the current lines and drove up in a stock looking 335i putting out 500whp chances are people you need to impress will take notice.

I look at people’s watches, clothes and cars and you can tell alot from it.

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:81,topic:34295"”]

3.) the band needs to NOT BE leather, plastic, or rubber.

[/quote]

A real dress watch has a leather band.

But watches are like anything else there’s a certain amount of absolutes that make a nice watch and everything else is personal preference.

Toda, That is the only real counterpoint that is valid.

Yes its Joe’s money and if he wants to dump it on that thats fine, i just think there are better things to do with your money.

[quote=“The_Russian,post:90,topic:34295"”]

Toda, That is the only real counterpoint that is valid.

Yes its Joe’s money and if he wants to dump it on that thats fine, i just think there are better things to do with your money.

[/quote]

Personal opinion.

My personal opinon? I don’t prefer any of those watches as they aren’t really interesting or different in any way. That said, If I had the money, I could see myself spending a thousand on a real nice Oakley watch because it’s unique and fits my personality.

But that’s my personal opinion. If Joe likes them, then he can do what he wants.

I like the square Bell n Ross… unsure what model its called. How about a nice Breitling Bentley, ROlex Submariner, or the PAM 8 day reserve?

[quote=“Johnnylude,post:92,topic:34295"”]

I like the square Bell n Ross… unsure what model its called.

[/quote]

Instrument? Not really a dress watch though…

[quote=“Johnnylude,post:92,topic:34295"”]

I like the square Bell n Ross… unsure what model its called. How about a nice Breitling Bentley, ROlex Submariner, or the PAM 8 day reserve?

[/quote]

8-day is gonna run around 8K…which is more than I want to spend right now. In December I plan to pick up a California, 8-day or fiddy.

[quote=“91MR2,post:74,topic:34295"”]

Dude, this statement sounds so absurd. I mean, come on man. I don’t care how much money you got, but 100K for a watch? There aren’t better ways to use your money?

[/quote]

Sure, if I only had 100K cash it would be stupid to buy a 100K watch. Since I don’t have 100K cash it’s not even a question. The fact is that there are many watches in the 100K+ range and that the watches i’m looking at are in fact “entry level” fine watches.

I already own a house and am on my way to owning another. The money I spend on random expensive purchases is bonus money, I don’t factor it into my yearly income. I happen to have a job where bonus’ are frequent and substantial.

Honestly buying a high end watch is probably the smartest “waste” of money out there, much smarter than buying a car.

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:4,topic:3676"”]

I prefer a very clean, simple looking watch,

[/quote]

It doesn’t get much cleaner or simpler than the Panerai

[quote=“Maksim2000,post:93,topic:34295"”]

Instrument? Not really a dress watch though…

[/quote]

if you want a dress watch… pick up a Patek

Joe whatever you get make sure u post up some pics. Im a huge fan of PAM’s and oversized watches… 44MM up to 48MM anything else is too big.

[quote=“Johnnylude,post:96,topic:34295"”]

if you want a dress watch… pick up a Patek

Joe whatever you get make sure u post up some pics. Im a huge fan of PAM’s and oversized watches… 44MM up to 48MM anything else is too big.

[/quote]

Yeah for some reason I really want to pick up that vintage Heuer, it’s substantial at 45mm x 20mm…but I might also grab that Pan as an addition since I wouldn’t really want to wear the heuer all that much

To everyone saying these watches are too expensive: I hope you think the same of a $2000+ set of wheels

i like this comparison…

i really don’t know which i would buy first, a $2k set of wheels or a $2k watch. personally i’m a cheap bastard, so my wheels are replicas and cost less than $1k, and my watch looks nice but was only about $175…

so yeah. whatever does the job does the job. if you have the money and want to spend it, so be it. i do think i would be limited though - if i had tons of extra money laying around, would i buy a $ 15 or $ 20 k watch? prolly not… but would i spend $ 2 k each on 3 or 4 different watches? that might be more reasonable…

[quote=“JoesTypeS,post:97,topic:34295"”]

Yeah for some reason I really want to pick up that vintage Heuer, it’s substantial at 45mm x 20mm…but I might also grab that Pan as an addition since I wouldn’t really want to wear the heuer all that much

To everyone saying these watches are too expensive: I hope you think the same of a $2000+ set of wheels

[/quote]

[quote=“JoesTypeS,post:95,topic:34295"”]

much smarter than buying a car.

[/quote]

personally i think you should wait on the watch till… well you know what

i have a nice collection of Watches. Its like a drug. lol. Movado