Water Damage and Mold: Apartment Edition

Alright, so i’m bumping this up. Originally it was a water damage due to recent CA rain… thread, but i’m no longer overly concerned about mold, etc. Everything has been cleaned and is drying nicely.

I’m looking at this handymans patch job on the roof and I swear it’s a fucking mess. I’ve been as hands off as I can possibly be, considering I don’t own the place, but my landlords guy seems like a fucking moron. I’m really happy the past’d be year + has been uneventful, because if I had to deal with this guy often, i’d be miserable.

Someone with roofing knowledge tell me how a flat tar roof is supposed to be patched. This guy mixed cold patch tar and roof stone together and spread it out on the roof. I’ll gladly take a photo, but it’s fucking brutal looking. If i’m not mistake the tar has to go down completely first, before anything else gets done. Correct?

I’ll get a picture in here ASAP, hang tight.

bump for new content on this ongoing mess.

It hasn’t even come close to setting up yet. Someone with some know how let me know if i’m over-worried or what.

What the hell is that exactly?

dude it rained so fucking hard up here in LBC last night

You tell me man. From what I can tell it’s some cold patch roof tar and small rocks mixed together and spread out in the corner of the roof about 1 in thick. Is this a common thing that i’ve just never heard of? It hasn’t set up at all in 36+ hours.

We didn’t catch any of that, but the rain last week was coming in from offshore at like 60+ sideways in the middle of the night. My apartment couldn’t take it, lol

I certainly don’t know alot about this type of roofing but i suppose it’s possible it’ll work. Guess you’ll know soon enough.

yeah looks like someone globbed on some tar over the top?

I would guess that’s going to take a week or more to set up. being that thick it’s going to need some serious sun exposure and a nice breeze to get that to set up…even then it will probably always be tacky to the touch and soft enough that you can push a thumb into it.

Yeah its brutal. Cold roof patch mixed with rocks. It’s NEVER going to set.

If anything, its now a slightly high point on the roof with this mound, so the rain should now divert away from the hole that was there. LOL.

Fingers crossed we dont get any more rain out here for a week or two.

• Updated - - -

No, I saw the guy as he was doing it when I got home from work. He straight up mixed the two together and just spread it out. It seems illogical, but what do I know. I don’t own the home, thankfully.