Waterleak in trunk

Hey guys I currently just bought a 1990 nissan 240sx hatchback and I found that the car has no rust but there is a leak where the spare tire is. I found a bit of water back but no rust does anybody know where this leak would be coming from??

Please let me know if you had the same problem or know what to do.

Would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

hatch seal?

also check the bottom of the quarter panels (moreso the driverside (exhuast)) for seams that are seperating/rotting,

mine slowly drops frmo the plastic trim piece around the hatch glass… i looked and the big seal rubber thing was ripped…

so i just checked and i seen that the water is going through the tailights some how any idea on how i can fix this??

Go to CT and get a big tube of clear or black silicone NOT caulking. Make sure its exterior or bathroom grade.

Remove your lights, remember to remove center first then corners.

Scrape all the shite off the backside of the lights, and the body as well.

Make them as clean as possible (don’t go to crazy though).

Put a 3/8" bead of the silicone where the old stuff was and place back in car. (Remember to do corners first)

After the lights are installed, lift the hatch weather stripping from the car.
(Not the whole thing, just above the lights)

You will see where two body panels overlap under the stripping (on both sides of the car about 8-10" from the sides of hatch opening). Put a good blob of silicone on both sides of the seam and replace the stripping.

If this is all done properly you will have a totally dry trunk.

Hope this helps, good luck with the repair :slight_smile:

My hatch leaks too, i found out it comes from the window, on the driver’s side. I don’t know how i’m gonna go about fixing it yet, but for now, all the water drains out because i left the drain plugs out.