Why is there water in my trunk!

Ever since a couple months ago when I forgot the sunroof open and it rained there has been water my spare tire compartment.
My sunroof looks very sealed with the rubber around in very good shape, so I have no idea how the water is getting in and how its only in my tire compartment and not anywhere else. Maybe it could be coming in thru the hatch but I doubt that. Any help would be appreciated.

check for holes anywhere in the hatch or bad weather striping…also check underneath the rear quarter panels where the mud gaurd is and make sure its not ruster out, on both my s13’s they rusted out there and water got into the truck

I’m having the same problem with mine. Whenever it rains it fills up with water. I never really bothered to check it out but I assumed it was coming from the hatch or maybe the tail lights. If you ever end up finding out the problem let me know :slight_smile:

check your hatch, and under the rear quarters, that is where you will find your problem. It has nothing to do with your sunroof.

cool, the rubber seems to be fine around the hatch. How does water get into the trunk from under the quarters? The car is sitting in a downward angle, can that be the problem?

do you have a spoiler on your hatch? is the hatch rusted at all? The only way water could get in the hatch from the rear quarter or from anything other than from the hatch itself is if theres a hole somewhere, possibly from rust.

Hatch was replaced a while back, its mint with no spoiler and there is no rust except under the left wheel well, is some slight rust behind the the mud flap. I’ll check again tomorrow.

I had this problem when I first got my 240. It turns out water was getting in where the tail-lights meet thebody. I pulled the taillights out and put silicone caulking around where they meet the metal. That was my ghetto solution. Haven’t had a problem since (that was 4 years ago).

Not sure if you have the same problem, but something to look into.
Good luck

i primed mine rubberized paint and now theres a little pond and little bugs swimming and grass from shanonville and i think its a chunk of ice now

Same thing happended to me. take out the tail lights and put a bead of silicon around them. should fix the problem

Same thing happended to me. take out the tail lights and put a bead of silicon around them. should fix the problem[/quote]

Yup, same here, do this for sure.

Tail lights, i had this same problem too.

ya I guess it makes sense since the water from the sides of the hatch runs down into the taillights so i’ll take a look.
Thanks

wow, every 240 I’ve seen that has this issue its not the hatch seal or lights or…

but its the inner quarter section behind the wheel, the tires throw rain water into the trunk. Look directly beside the muffler at the metal that runs up/down.

Thats a good point and I do have a small hole in the rear quarter,
but my car was just sittin not driven at all in the rain so it looks like its the tail lights.

mine leaks through the hatch somewhere and drips onto my rear panels and drips into the spare tire well somehow, but very slow so i dont really care