Weird dudes going around asking about electrical bill?

Just had a couple slicked down guys in their mid-twenties in suits (one wore a long coat :wierd) stop buy and ask me if they can talk to someone who manages our electric bill and explain to me why it fluctuates. Missed the part about who they are exactly or from what company. Anyone else had them come buy? Seems pretty strange, when I opened the door I thought they were gonna ask for church donations or show me some FBI badges or something.

In the past I’ve had people stop by to try and pitch a different electricity suppliers. You still have to pay the delivery fee’s through national grid though. I dont handle the power bill, but I dont think we switched

My parents had Agway as a subcontractor for power or gas (both?) and it was cheaper for a bit but then they jacked up the prices and were more expensive than National Grid so my parents switched back to NG.

I get phone calls at work asking the same type of questions as these guys were all the time.

They also have a companies that can “lock in” your rates for what you are paying. So if it goes up, you pay the same as your locked in rate. Granted, if it goes down (which honestly, I dont see it going down much) for a period of time.

I wouldn’t talk to them. Either tell them to leave information or mail it.

If you really believe there are people out there who want to HELP you save money, you are on crack. If you switch to these guys bullshit your electric bill will DOUBLE. Let’s just say I have a family member who can no longer make decisions like this (age) and she found out the hard way.

Find out the name of the company and google it, you will see they have about 500 BBB complaints pending (assuming it is the same company I am thinking of)

Ambit Energy? It’s some pyramid scheme.

A few years ago some religious cult came around here supposedly putting in free alarm systems if you put their sign up on your lawn.

I still see some of the signs on people’s lawns but seriously doubt they got the alarms put in.

If they did Im sure the cult members know the code so they can get in the house and steal shit.

MY bonehead roommate took the liberty of signing my name when i wasnt home and switching me to the “new plan” Been like that for almost 2 years now :\

They just stopped by again, I didn’t bother getting any details but apparently they go around explaining sudden spikes in electricity bill if you had any, and they’re not offering any services or whatever. Weird.

they didnt ask you to get on their spaceship?

http://khackney.typepad.com/photos/handmade_dvds/i_come_in_peace_cover.jpg

“…and you go in pieces.” :rofl

:banghead That’s the dumb shit my GF’s mother pitched to the family last night. Its rather dumb. They say they first month will save you a guaranteed 7% off your original bill then 1% off the rest of the months. SWEET sign me up man, save it a whole $0.90 a month! I cant wait!!! and I am sure there isn’t a small catch that wont extend past the 90 cents you saved me, right!?!?!

She is all gung-ho about it too! I guess if you refer a customer, you get a % of that’s customers savings credited to your account. So for people who cant do simple math, if you save a whole dollar buy switching to this, and they give you %25 of that savings… you made a entire quarter that month by referring someone! WOOT. The video is funny too they show slides of peoples bill being paid by referring customers, and it shows like a $130 credit each month! ROFL. Your would have to refer 520 people with the example I gave above to make $130 a month on it.

retarded.

I got this type of stuff mailed to me earlier this past year. On paper it sounds great so I looked into it because there had to be a catch.

Someone posted already and said you are still getting your power through National Grid, which is correct. These people coming knocking on your doors and sending you literature in the mail are brokering it. What they aren’t telling you is aside from the low rate, you have to pay hidden fee’s, as well as National Grid’s delivery charges so yes you are paying a lower rate in theory, but they’re getting you all on the hidden fee’s and delivery charges.

Is this a scam? Yes. What should you do if they come to your door? “Thanks but no thanks, have a nice day.” The old saying goes, “If it’s too good to be true, chances are it is.”

The bottom line is, we’re pretty much stuck with paying what we have to pay. Don’t even think about trying to go the solar panel route. The cost of the equipment, permits, etc. to get this stuff installed is ridiculous. You will never see a return of investment all said and done. The only thing you can go on happy thinking is you did something good for the environment.

Digging this thread up cause some dude from Family Energy just knocked and tell me to sign up stuff to save money on my utility. The catch is I HAVE to sign up right now and right there in front of my door and will have to give them a lot of personal information.

I told them I am not signing anything until I read them myself, I told them to leave the form and I will do some research on it.

“Look I am trying to save you money, if you want to pay more that is your choice.” and obviously he did not leave any info about what actually I am signing up for, so you can actually read them. Clearly they TRY to impose themselves as working for NG and make you think they are from NG.

By the way, the savings is NOT guarantee. The verbiage on their form is “you may save…”

Like mark said, prolly ambit energy or similar companies… Its not a scam, they just get money for everyone that signs under them. You DO save money as they claim but its soo minimal u wont even notice a difference

My wife is with a company called a.c.n , we have there cell /elec/t.v etc all great and still thru major suppliers

If they are a legitimate company, then their method of using “drive by marketing” is poor.

How can you take anyone serious by sending a stranger showing up on your door and ask to go over you bills and take all your personal info? I guess I will have to miss out on those savings…

Seriously. To me that screams “potential identity theft” or someone simply casing your house. Legitimate company isn’t going to use high-pressure salesman tactics, unless they are a car dealer :dunno