Weird Situation Please read(specially if you work in a bank)

Hey gang

well this is a bit of a story and this is my last effort to find some information that can help me.

Last month a transport truck in a parking lot smashed my fender, door, bumper, etc in while my car sat parked. After somewhat of a process, i gave the trucking company my estimate for damage and they sent me a check. I had the estimate done at XYZ collision center and sent it to the truck company who agreed to pay if i didnt go to court.

I got my check the other day and im happy my car is getting fixed. Its a check for $1700 dollars to cover the cost to get the car fixed at XYZ. Catch is i have a guy who will do the same job for about $700 and i could have kept the rest AND the trucking company made the check out to me AND XYZ. the “Pay to the order of” line reads “XYZ Collision Inc. / My Name”

so the guy who owns XYZ doesnt want to sign the check over to me and the bank says I cant deposit it since their name is on it too…

But I thought I had the right to have the car fixed wherever i wanted, and this is MY money, not XYZ’s

so my question is whether anyone else on here has had a situation like this before, or if anyone who works in a bank knows possibly if there is anything else I can do…i want to do anything I can to have this check deposited into my bank account and not XYZ’s bank account

im happy my car is being fixed but I dont think im being dishonest here either.

If it was a legitimate quote, then the trucking company should have to pay the full amount. Just because you can get it done for less doesn’t mean that the job done isn’t worth more.

I would go back to the trucking company and ask for a new cheque, because you are going somewhere else. If they don’t give it to you, then take it to court. They will probably just cut you a new cheque.

i think though it is to protect them from having me use the money for anything else…this is my problem- it gets fixed yes but…I want that check myself.

I wonder if i just put it into an ATM what would happen

i know this is a weird situation but has anyone else ever had this happen or know someone who has

If the bank teller won’t cash the cheque for you, the ATM won’t do any good, the money will be added to your account and the withdrawn with a penalty.

Go back to the truckign company and request a new cheque. It’s very simple, they pay you not the repair shop.

The problem is here the trucking company only wants to pay the amount for the damages to the vehicle and not for you to profit from this. That is the reason they signed the cheque over to the collision center. This is common practice since alot of people will bring in the highest estimate they got and then turn around and go elsewhere. Good luck getting them to cut you a cheque that will be in your name, I dont think thats going to happen.

Your best bet is to just get it done where you had the estimate done and try to get them to give you a better deal so you can get some money back.

What you are trying to do has happened many times before and Im sure this isnt the first time the trucking company has had to deal with a situation like this hence them signing over the cheque to the collision place. I wouldnt approach them at all for a new cheque cause next thing you know theyll want to settle for less.

dude just put it into your account at an ATM machine for the full amount.
then withdraw $700 when u need to pay and leave the rest in.

ty do you even know how to read?

the cheque is cosigned… you cant just deposit it with 1 or no signatures on it…

itll come back out. your account will be frozen untill the problem is resolved. and you will be charged fees for the paper work…

totally not worth it.

stop trying to profit and get the damn car fixed…

GT

locate ur own parts

bring them to the shop and have them charge u only for labour…

dont have them painted do it yourself…

u can easily pocket 1000 that way

last thing i thought of

the guy at the shop says hes liable to the trucking company if its not done properly…but i have the letter signed by me and the company saying this is a done deal and i cant sue them anymore if the car isnt fixed, meaning they cant go after the collision shop…ill call and see if that changes his mind and if not then i suppose i get it fixed there…i hope they do good work

:werd:
When I got into an accident the other party tried screwing me with the estimate. All it did was piss me off into calling the insurance company and then the other guy got fucked too. If he gave me an honest quote and didn’t try to get rich off me, I woulda paid him off and we BOTH woulda had cheaper insurance. You’re insulting their intelligence if you ask for another cheque.

Twitchy you are very lucky you even got money from the trucking company if this happened on private property. If no charges or fault was laid from accident b/c no one called the police, legally they don’t have to give you anything. Also you can’t go through the insurance company either. Your only option would be small claims court at that point.

I understand you would like to pocket some money we all would but, you can have your car fixed perfectly and it won’t cost you anything so be happy with that man.

With the check, NO you can’t cash it anywhere because it’s not made out to you. Not even a Money Mart would touch it. Most of the time now a days you can’t double indores a check.

So again fix your car, maybe see if the place will do it for a little less and toss you a couple of bucks, but if not at least your not footing any cash out of your own pocket.

Take care man.

Easy 8)