What are these mounted on police cars?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg132/tyczj/3342715554_f5e6575a65.jpg

Those black boxes on the trunk i see them all over the place now not just in buffalo (depew, cheektowaga etc…), i was next to a cop car the other day and looked inside it kind of and it looked like it was flashing. are they radar guns, plate readers or what?

Plate readers

my guess would be either radar or license plate cameras for different angles.

plate readers. for instance, if your registration is up or your car is uninsured but you still have the plates on it, it pops up on a monitor in the car and they pull you.

Yep, plate readers. They’re very effective too. I’ve seen police use them driving up and down parking lots and one officer using it in the middle of Transit road just pulling up any vehicle that drove by.

^^^yeap, and they know if your inspection is good or not too. i tried never inspecting a beater a few years ago as i was only driving it for about a month and they got me with those. its all tied in with the dmv.

East Aurora cops do this all the time, my favorite is when they sit in the middle turning lane on 20a at dusk with no lights on… I’m just waiting for the day someone plows into them

:tup: to Buffalo using these. I haven’t seen any in Amherst but keep hoping they get some.

Anything that gets assholes driving around with suspended licenses, insurance and registrations gets a huge :tup: from me.

My brother in law had his car totaled by some deadbeat asshole in Buffalo who had a suspended license and no registration or insurance. Since my brother’s car wasn’t really worth having collision on he was shit out of luck. He debated small claims court but since the guy was a deadbeat he’d just waste a bunch of time to get a judgment against a guy he would probably never collect from.

Big brother is watching

Amherst has them on a few cars

Yes, I’ve seen them out here as well. I always thought they were for spotting parked cars and did not know they were used while in traffic.

I have seen them used on TV to find stolen vehicles too. I have never seen a cop car with them in real life though.

^ Really?

I see the ALL the time. Never got nabbed by one though… well… I did… but it wasn’t for a bad regi… it was actually for speeding, lol.

Guess I haven’t been paying enough attention. Probably because any time I see APD I’m paying such close attention to using as little throttle as possible so they don’t hear my LS2 siqness through those straight through afterburner muffers. :slight_smile:

They are pretty sick, my buddy showed me how they work, etc. It had already scanned like 1800 cars on his shift!!! He showed me my plate automatically zoomed in on his lap top. Big bro is definately watching. By the way, sidenote, I just renewed my license today and it is not enhanced.:smiley:

Too bad you still carry a cell phone, which is way better for allowing Big Brother to track your every move than the low power RFID chip in the enhanced license.

I don’t carry a phone in my name. :snky: Do you think any celeb does? :slight_smile:

I got pulled over by one… uhm… in december of last year for expired reg in lockport.
Wasn’t living with my parents, but some of my mail like that gets sent to their house… and they never told me when i got mail, so… meh.
I was pretty pissed about that one, but meh.
I called them afterwards, and they were like… uhh yea, it’s been here for a while now.
ugh. my fault for not getting my mail all the time.

Expired by 1 day, and cost me $100 -.-
first ticket i ever got, yay.

Yeah, that will definitely make you un-trackable.

They get inspections too eh? I’ve been lucky as mine has been up for a month and a half. Picking up my replacement car tomorrow though:wink: Question- if the sticker is still valid, but you just bought it (and technically you have to re-inspect it at that time), will it show up? Don’t feel like wasting a sticker that’s good for 7 months if I don’t have to.