Cobalt with plate readers? Syracuse

Saw this thing driving the streets of Syracuse, also had (what I’m assuming is a) dash cam. Any idea what this is for? There were no state or county markings, and it has regular plates. The driver also seemed to be in plain clothes. Anyone have any idea what this thing is or what it’s doing?

Interesting these things don’t work by actively looking up plates however a database gets loaded and they alert on them.

Probably a scout vehicle for a repo agency.

+1

This. There’s a late model black impala that cruises around buffalo that has this equipment on it. I happened to go to target on Delaware one day and the impala was there with a dually pickup that had towing equipment on it. They were picking up a red cobalt and towing it away.

I always see it cruising the parking lots of local stores in buffalo and surrounding areas so this makes sense

Yeah he’s at the Galleria Mall every weekend just driving through the parking lots with this same equipment.

That’s actually a pretty great use of the tech. I wonder how many hits they get per week off that investment.

I was really glad to see APD finally get them mounted on a few cars. They make it much harder for these assholes with no insurance, lapsed registration or suspended licenses to blend in.