What is needed to pass saftey?

Hey guys had some free time so i thought I might post this up for the people that always wonder what is mandatory to pass a safety and have a safe vehicle on the road (minimum standards)

1. Bodywork-underbody

• this basically means the underbody of the vehicle is free from holes and is not dented or mangled in any way or form.
  2. Bodywork- hinges and latches

• this basically means the door hinges function normally, the hood latch and trunk latch open and close properly with no problems
  1. Bodywork - sheet metal and bumpers
  • this basically means the rebars are in tact and the quater panels of the vehicle are in good condition and the bumpers are held up by the quaters properly
  1. Seat and Seat Belt Assemblies
  • this basically means all seats are mounted with all the factory bolts and screws and there is no slack on movement in them unless they are supposed to and the seat belts all have the auto lock kick in when the belt gets pulled out fast and its bolted and present.
  1. Mirrors
  • this basically means all mirrors are present from the manufacturer ie. inner mirror and outter mirrors and none of them are cracked
  1. Windshield Wiper, Washer and Defroster
  • this basically means all the wipers are present or atleast 1 is present in the front that functions and cleans the complete view of the driver clean and the blades are in good condition and the washer fluid is enough and working and the defroster works.
  1. Speedometer
    - it works, and it lights up when headlights are turned on

2. Lamps and reflectors
    - all lights are present, working and reflectors are clean and free of cracks and defects

3. Headlamp aim

• the headlight is aimed properly
  4. Fuel System components

• all vapours are concealed and are in accordance with the EPA regulations. valid fuel cap, valid gas tank and no leak or smell.
  1. exhaust system components
  • all parts of the exhaust is in functioning order, no abnormal noises are produced, o2 sensors are in place and functioning, cat is present, resonator is present, muffler is present and all components are EPA compliant
  1. Brakes
  • are functioning and have enough compound to stop withing a safe distance in an emergency, handbrakes are adjusted and functioning, all mechanical aspects of the brakes are functioning, hydrolyic or pneumatic lines are operational and withing working conditions
  1. Horn

• horn functions and produced sufficient noise
  2. Accelerator Linkage

• is not sticky, has not been cut and modified, works proper
  3. Steering column and box

• turns properly, no slack, no grinds, linkage is greased and not missing teeths if power steering is available that it works proper
  1. Suspension
  • ball joints, cv joints, springs, shocks, lca’s, etc are operative and not missing and are all greased and lubed where need be
  1. neutral starting switch
  • car can start in neutral wheter it be auto or manual and that it doesnt engage into reverse from neutral while vehicle in motion for automatic
  1. Tires

• have enough thread, are DOT approved, dont have any steel wire belts showing etc…
  2. wheels and fastners

• wheels are straight and not bent, fasteners are adequate and operational and of proper tension.

The safety certificate has 36 requirements for both commercial and non commerical vehicles and an addition of 6 more for motorcycle’s.
not all of the 36 will apply to your car because some are for trucks etc… the ones i stated above are the ONLY ones for cars.

hope this helps some of you guys out.

Ill add that There cannot be any cracks in the window or stone chips located within the drivers vision area (if the window wipers can touch it its no good)

Brakes have to have (30%?) left to pass and tires must have 3/32 of tread left

the easiest way to pass a safety is to make friends with a licensed mechanic :slight_smile:

hey i am thinking on purchaseing a 240sx but the frame rails are gone but i am going to do the propper work later on but would like to know i have it saftied so i know im not fixing up a scrapper. is it possible someone could hook me up with someone to saftey it.

I have a 1987 Audi Coupe GT with a digital dash. The speedometer does not work at all. It is a huge centre section in the gauge cluster. I’ve had to have that car safetied 3 times and all passed with the digital dash dead.

• First time when we got the car - Passed perfectly
  • Second time, we let the car sit uninsured for a few years after purchase. The insurance company asked that we get it safetied to get insurance on it again. Passed perfectly
  • Third time it changed ownership title from one immediate family member to another. The car had to be safetied again. Passed perfectly

All three safety tests were done at different places.

They usually just check if the lights are working. They don’t care so much for aim.

As long as the exhaust is not dragging on the road in any way, and it doesn’t seem excessively loud when you drive it in the test centre, they’ll pass it.

As a side note, a long time ago my Dad acquired a First Generation Nissan Altima. It was in perfect condition and didn’t have any problems at all. The inspectors took it for about an hour, came back out and said it failed. The reason: They said there wasn’t any washer fluid in the bottle, and they couldn’t test to see if it works. They claim they suspected that there was a massive leak in the bottle because it doesn’t make any sense that there wasn’t even a little bit of fluid. They followed up with that they could “fix it” for me.
We took it down the street (without filling up the bottle), and got it done in 15 minutes. Needless to say, we didn’t go back to the assholes that didn’t want to put washer fluid in to check it.

lol when the hell did i post this :S