what to do with this integra?

my good friend’s brother picked up a (I think a 98) integra. It has the B18B1 engine in it with an auto transmission.

with his income tax check and stimulus check we were thinking of slapping in a boosted motor or MAYBE an H22 (if thats possible)
So what should we do with it? the current motor has 136k on it. I know alot of people on here are into the honda scene and I’ve seen alot of honda parts/ motors floating around the classifieds.

so if you had this car and had around $2000 to fuck with engine wise what would you do. I normally dont mess with honda so whats possible with around that amount?

An auto to manual swap would be first on the list. Then boost that motor. 136k wouldn’t scare me.

Auto FTL Manual tranny is a must

i dont know… 135k… is that really safe to boost? or would it be better to just get an already built motor on here?

I am unsure if he wants to keep auto or got with manual.
auto with decent boost doesnt sound too bad to me, but its not my car I dont know what he wants to do

I’d trust a 135k motor before a Honda automatic. Mine had 110k when I boosted it. Just as long as the compression is good.

ya im going to run a compression test on it. whats good readings on this kind of motor? 150psi and above across all cylinders?

Auto Will Not last under any kind of power or abuse so if hes not up for the conversion might as well save the money and dd the car

I’ll inform him of that. thanks.

think its possible to have the car swapped to a manual and boosted for around $2000?
Or maybe even find a boosted motor/5spd trans for around that price ready to drop in?

If he wants a h22 my buddy is selling one. But the mounts you have to get to drop it in a teg are about 500.00.

yea any swaping is going to cost more than that until it is said and done. Best bet would be to get a manual trans personally i would buy a type r tranny of some sort (ctr or itr) that will probably set you back a nice $1500 if you are dong the work your self after ecu swap and shift linkage and pedal assembly and yada yada yada. Then you have $500 to put in the bank as savings bonds and maybe in like 50 years you will have enough to turbo the fuker properly! (it never EVER ends)

or you could build for some honda ls-vtec all motor sex!

i could go on for days, ill stop here

so a manual swap will be around $1500? but thats really the only way the car can handle the abuse and torque?

that’s just my rough guess based on what a manual tranny with lsd (used) will cost, then adding for all other necessary stuff. the lsd is not necessary, but if i could do mine all over again when i did my swap i would have done the lsd then instead of adding it, as i am doing now. it’s just much easier while the trans is already out obviously.

No you can find an LS tranny for around 200-400 bux but if you are planning on making any kind of power i would suggest a LSD (TypeR trannys come with LSD) But IMO i would buy a LS or GSR tranny and put a quaife LSD in it. The final drive is a little diff from GSR to LS but not much for the price diff. You just have to shop around and you can find good deals on these trannies…then i would buy a gsr or si head and do a ls/vtec you can do both of these within your budget :)…there is no way you can boost it under 2k AND yes thats the only way a honda will handle power

LS manual tranny for the conversion + VTEC head…if you try to budget that $2k the project is going to end up costing you $3k and you’ll be screwed or end up with junk when you can’t come up with the cash to do it right. If you were looking at $3k or $4k in your hand you’d have a lot more options,
LS/VTEC setups are pretty well documented and an LS tranny would be a cheap manual conversion.

Put your money into the VTEC head, on a $2000 budget you aren’t going to be making enough power to justify spending the money on an LSD.

^^ what Caleb said.

FWIW OEM LSD’s can’t handle more than 250whp reliably anyway. I know there are people pushing them, but for the most part they crap out past that point. Kaaz/Quaife will hold up way past that

sorry for the lsd suggestion, seems a bit out of place, but yea, these guys are right, the LS tranny is going to be MUCH cheeper and a kaaz/quafe will be a much better lsd if needed. I just think too big sometimes. To make it fun, swap the tranny to a stock LS Manual put a vtec head on it (maybe mill the head or run a really thin head gasked to raise compression and it will be a good bit more fun!

Manual and turbo the B18B1.

Also, Quaife LSD FTMFW. An OBX LSD is fine if you have the specs for the Quaife bolts’ torque settings and go over the OBX with a torque wrench.

Stock LSD is fine cheap and reliable and will handle a whole lot more than 250whp im know a few ppl making over 400whp problem free :kiss:

Im going to go do the compression test tonight. I’ll post the results. we dunno how healthy the motor is…

so would it be possible to put in an 5spd and swap a VTEC head for around$2000?

currently the car has a header back exhaust and a short ram intake. will the header bolt up to a VTEC head? I was under the impression that the B18B1 was vtec. ( guess im wrong)

if that all can be done for around that price then what kind of power are we looking at?

I would sell it, and get something that won’t end up being the typical honda money pit