what to do with this integra?

The B18B1 is not a VTEC motor, but your exhaust manifold will bolt to a VTEC head.

Also yes, you should be able to do the manual conversion and get a VTEC head on there for well under $2k, even if you aren’t doing any of the work yourself (assuming you shop around for the labor). Get a quote from Gearhead, he’s done lots of Hondas.

Compression test Results…

from pass. side to drivers side
110/108/112/110

that doesnt seem too healthy to me, what do you guys think?
need new block too?

those numbers are terrible. was the engine warm did you hold the throttle open even if didn’t those numbers are still low

engine was sitting for about an hour. I did not tell him to hold the throttle open. we did 4 cranks with no throttle.

since they are all about even I would guess that there isn’t anything wrong it probably just how the test was performed. I would do it again with the engine at operating temp with the throttle held open

wow those numbers are awefull. my ls test’s at 180-185 for all 4 of them. I think the min is like 120 or 130, don’t remember exactly.

Maybe I’ll try it again with the engine warm and throttle wide open…
i dont think it’ll make much difference

Recheck the compression on a completely cold motor. Do a minimum of 6 cranks, and watch the needle…if it comes up slowly, but reaches respectable numbers you’re fine.

If it doesn’t yield good numbers put 1mL of oil into each cylinder and try again. If still bad, rings are toast. Try a leakdown test as well to make sure pressure isn’t shooting out somewhere else (valve seals/guides are notorious)

OK, I’ll try again when I get a chance. do not hold the throttle open?

He going to school at rosedale, Im sure they could try out a leakdown test with the class after I see what the results were to the recheck of the compression

Yes hold it at WOT while you do this, and disable the fuel supply (via the fuse box)

alrighty. thanks for the info

So is this the Proper way of doing a compression test?

1. Perform When Engine Is Cold
  2. Remove all plugs
  3. Remove Fuel Supply Fuse ( Fuel Pump Fuse Etc. Etc.)
  4. Crank engine at WOT for 4-6 Cranks

I have an ls block that was just honed a week ago for 81.25mm pistons with basically all the little things for it, an ls crank that was just checked and micropolished, ls rods with arp rod bolts and the rods machined to take ctr or itr pistons, buy that off of me buy some pistons put it together and find that manual tranny then either just slap an ls head on and drive it if you run out of money or find a vtec head and you’ll have a fun fun daily driver.

Right. Do that and report back

Alright.
also I might add, this is an old school compression tester, single line that goes into the spark plug hole to a gauge. ( its probably 15years old, but still works as it should)

If it’s that old, the rubber line may have cracks in it, making the numbers seem low. You can use mine if you want

1st off i just want to say that motor is prob in tip top shape. When i used to look for ls motors id rather get ahold of an auto. (they havent been beat on)

2nd Dont even consider a VTEC head for any reason…unless he wants 500hp.

3rd get that tranny out and put a stock ls/gsr/b16 who cares it doesnt really matter. and you dont need any type of diff the stock open diff will hold anything as long as you have respect for it. the time you convert it you will prob be pushing 1500+ if you have someone do it. looking at 500 for a tranny. 100-200 for pedals ( I think i have a set) 500-600 in labor. I have done the conversion on an integra it takes some time and you have to make a custom mount for the tranny and wire a bunch of stuff c(ruise,Reverse,park bull shit clutch saftey). 50 dollars for you need an intermeadate shaft. and clutch flywheel looking 500-600.

You could boost the auto tranny. people have been known to do it and it hold for a long time with right around 200whp. but you asking for it then.

4th boost. dont buy junk shit. and dont buy small turbos. like 57trim or bigger. the smaller the turbo the harder it is on the motor.

:nuts:

not a chance, go price a GSR or B16 head this time in the year!

alright. if you guys had this car what would you do to it?

1. leave it, dont worry about it and just daily drive it?
  2. mess with the current motor with bolt ons and shit?
  3. try to find a decent built B series and drop it in?

I know the manual tranny swap will be a little pricey and he probably wont like that its gonna be around $1500 for it to be swapped. maybe we’ll luck out and find a decent performing B series for under $2000 and just bolt it up to the auto and see what happens lol

listen to joe he has been doing it long enough