What to look for when buying a 1990 240sx?

I’ll be going along with a friend tonight to most likely buy a 1990 240sx 5speed Fastback. The engine is blown so what are the key things I should be looking at on the body?

~KatiL

Rocker panels, STRUT TOWERS, fenders, inside the door frames, the hood latch, the hatch latch, inside the hatch where the spare tire is, etc. There are so many places on these cars that rust lol.

Good luck!

Jeff

Look closely for rust on the frame rails! I’ve seen them so bad on these cars that they’ve actually broken.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Would any of you have some pictures showing those key spots under the car?

~KatiL

Open the hatch and check for leaks along the weather stripping. Especially check for holes near the bottom of the hatch window. Look right underneath the car for rust. The best would be to put it up on a hoist and take a good look.

If there’s a spoiler, watch for waves or curves in the spoiler. Also a good indication of rust from the hatch.

sorry, double post

It is really worth the $100 to get it inspected at a shop and get it up on a lift.

I had a buddy, he was about to buy a car, looked great, very little visible rust. He took it in for an inspection and they found a place where they could fit there whole hand into the car through a rust hole!! Not at all obviouse to him before getting it up on a lift.

Pay the money to make sure it’s as good as it looks!!

get dirty and go under the car and take a look for yourself even …its worth it for sure …