Wheel Studs.

Hey can someone give me a quick run down on the process to replace them (wheel studs). I need to ddo it quickly tomo night and id appreciate it going as quickly as possible.

1. Remove wheel

2. Remove calipers

3. Wiggle/shake rotor out

4. Hammer the studs out if you feel you can replace it while on the car
    -or-

5. Remove hub/spindle (might be a total pain if you haven’t done before)

6. Hammer out old studs and hammer in new studs

7. ???

8. Profit

:dunno:

I imagine that’s the process

ya thats what i fugured just never done it on a car with disk brakes. and no gain but i DID snap the old ones so i guess the gain is driving again

DO NOT hammer them out while on the car. You risk both bending/twisting the hub, and damaging the wheel bearing.

Take the hub off the car and squeeze the studs out in a vice or press.

Its very simple. Don’t even worry about taking the brake off. Well i guess it depends how many you are doing.

I had to change one of my front left studs. Just turn the wheel in. Have the stud you are gonna take off on the outside so you can get your hand in there.
Just hammer it out, you can put a piece of wood over it I spose. Just a few whacks to take it off. Will either pop it right out or you just pull it off once you whack your stud through the teeth.
To replace you get the new stud push it through the hole until you can get a nut on there with the wheel on.
Put the wheel on and torque the nut just like normal maybe go alittle higher than normal to like 90-100 ft/lbs

Congratulations you have just replaced a wheel stud.

you can do it both ways described above…

DONT USE A TORQUE GUN

it is a better idea to remove the hub and have the studs pressed in, but if you are just doing one then that may not be necessary.

it is possible to rotate the hub remove and replace the stud frm behind, you will need to unbolt the caliper to do that i think, it was dark out and i cant remember to well.

Here is what you do to make things easy.

1. Remove wheel
  2. Remove brake caliper
  3. Remove brake rotor
  4. Hammer out studs, no need to wail on it just give them enough force to pop out
  5. Insert new stud into hole and with fingers pull in as far as you can
  6. Stack 2 or 3 fairly wide washers on the stud (this will allow the stud to set straight, it might help to aling the studs as striaght as you can before hand)
  7. Put open ended nut on the new stud and gun down using quick burst to start then once its set right gun it so its snugged in, make sure the open nut it flat side facing the washers.

That is how I did it with mine and it worked out 100% for all 20 studs.