Replacing wheel stud.

One of the bolts on my rear driver side wheel is missing. (was like that when i got the car) I have searched and havn’t found anything about this, and there doesn’t seem to be anything in the FSM. Anyone know if this is possible without removing the whole hub from the car? I am pretty sure I can just punch out the old and and jam the new bolt in. Has anyone done this?

The plan is to freeze the bolt, heat the hub and hopefully I can get it in there without too many problems.

Any pointers?

All you have to do is line up the new one (line the splines up, you will feel it when it is lined up right), then take a lug nut (one that has threads right through it), put it on the new stud backwards (so the flat end is against the rotor), and crank it in untill it is seated. You don’t need to heat or freeze it.

Theo

ps: credit to Jason

take the hub off

seriously,

i tried it the other way recently and it wasnt happy.

This would be Jason from theos post credit this is how I was told

Take off the wheel and then to not dammage brake components take off the caliper and rotor leaving the hub exposed still on the car. now take a good size hammer and line up with the stud and wail it hard till it pops out trying not to deform the part you are hitting much. Now when its out take your new stud you will notice that there are a bunch of splines at the base. What you want to do is insert the stud and spin it untill these match up with the old ones marks. Reason being is you will see the splines are close together and the hub could not take more then 2 diffrent changes before the hole would be to wrecked to grab. When you feel the splines line up take a OPEN lug nut (via S13 or whatever) and thread it on and crank it down this will allow the stud to seat (having a gun would make this easy but only once your sure the splines are matched). Then presto you can now enjoy you new stud. I am going to be doing all my studs before I put my new wheels on.