changing wheel studs

im currently changing wheel studs on my front left tire. i currently have everything already dismantled and the only thing is the damn wheel studs wont come off. i’ve tried hammering the heck out of it and even taking a blowtorch to the hub and hammering the wheel studs. i really need any help on how i can remove it easily as i need my car back on the road. i dont care about damaging the old wheel studs as long as the hub itself is fine. the hub itself is still on the car.

I believe the stud is pressed in and the only way to get the stud without a press would be to heat of the hub instead of the stud. At the same time you would probably need to freeze the stud.

My suggestion is to take off the hub and take it to a machine shop or auto shop with a press to take out and put in the new studs.

i thought of that and i dont know if its safe to remove the pin thing holding the hub to the car. its the double fish hook shapped thing. i also have a blowtorch and was wondering how i can cool the studs while still heating the hub?

As far as I know it is not easy if possible at all to heat the hub and cool the stud.
Unfortunately with it being connected to all the other metal of the suspension system, that all acts as a heat sink to cool down your attempts to heat the hub. It will probably not get hot enough while attached.
Also because it is not a flash heating, the temperature rise of the hub will be close to that of the studs and the difference is only due to dissimilar metals. That’s one of the main principals behind just about any engine. ie steel block, aluminum heads, and why they can work together to make an efficient engine.

I’m pretty sure that hook thing can come off but I don’t want to tell you the wrong thing. I can’t see it first hand. Do you have any pictures of this? Maybe with your digicam?
Have you tried a Skyline specific board. Though most Nissan Products are extremely similar, there are always one or two things that are off between models in any major area. What I can tell you about my 300ZX might not be the same about the skyline.

Next thing. I forgot to mention. Do you have a manual?

http://www.phatg20.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=84

Those are the manuals for the Nissan Skyline

when in doubt use a bigger hammer…40 oz.? or try sledge hammer…
and lots of penetrating fluid.

anyone know of a shop in scarborough area that has one of these badboys in their shop?

what type of shop should i be looking for? car mechanic, machine shop, etc…?

I would try car shops first. At least car shops will know what they are dealing with and how to handle it. Hopefully you’ll find one with a press.
If you have to take it to a machine shop then be very descriptive on what and how you need it done. You can’t be sure that they all know exactly what part this is, it’s ability to obtain and such, so you want to make sure that they don’t damage it any more than it currently is.

Please re-read my response DJ.
I feel you misunderstood what I am saying.

i thank everyone that helped out and gave advice. special mention to anthony who came out here in the middle of the night to try and help me in the freezing cold and also to speedfreak which came here and in less than 20 minutes finished the job that i couldnt do for almost 5 days.

Anthony
Get ready to pull a week full of all nighters. I think I’m gonna take a week off work in the spring (vacation) to do this engine swap.

its true what they say about using the right set of tools. speedfreak had all of those. he went to my house and just knocked the studs out easily. took him less than 20 minutes to take out the old ones and securely put on the new ones. i was just using the wrong tools for the job.

studs should only require one or two taps from any reasonable hammer to come out.

use an arbor press to put the studs back in.

http://forums.son240sx.ca/showthread.php?t=23714