Who has shipped a transmission?

[quote=“brent_strong,post:4,topic:37513"”]

Buy a bin from walmart that the trans fits in.

Line the bottom with some cardboard.

Put trans in.

Stuff cardboard around it and on top of it.

Put lid on.

Cut slits in lid and ziptie lid to the bin.

Arrange for it to be picked up at your doorstep via DHL.

Charge 50% more for shipping than you paid. Profit.

[/quote]

Absolutely fucking NOT :mad:

Walmart plastic bins are not build for shipping things like transmissions and engine blocks. More often than not the container will brake and your contents will be damged. Stuffing cardboard around it isn’t going to do shit.

If you can’t afford to properly crate the tranny, the best way to ship it would be to use form fitting foam (similar to what regular monitors used to ship with back in the day) and a sturdy cardboard box. The foam will properly cradle the transmission and provide reinforcement to the box.

Obviously all fluids should be drained from the tranny, and any little parts that can be knocked loose (bolts, etc) should be packed separately in the box.

^^ i disagree…ive shipped an engine to norway ina rubbermaid bin…made it fine…also shipped a diff in a rubbermaid bin…made it there just fine as well.

get it packaged and send me a PM…i will hook you up on shipping.

my cheap wooden crate inside the rubbermaid was fine too. thats how t56rebuilds wants their trannys shipped. marcus, i dont know about the pallet deal. maybe they just dont want pallets because they are hard to stack and are awkward to carry with out a forklift

http://www.rlcarriers.com/

buy 3-4 straps from Harbor Freight for $12. Strap the tranny to a pallet.

Call R&L and they will pick it up from your house… done.

A 120lb tranny from here to California cost me $130
Guessing yours will cost about $80.
Use a bathroom scale to find weight or look online.

Weight Class = 85

[quote=“JuicedGT,post:22,topic:37513"”]

^^ i disagree…ive shipped an engine to norway ina rubbermaid bin…made it fine…also shipped a diff in a rubbermaid bin…made it there just fine as well.

get it packaged and send me a PM…i will hook you up on shipping.

[/quote]

I agree with RX3. Just because your engine made it doesnt mean that you packed it properly. If you want to play roulette with your stuff thats fine but try not to give poor advice.

That aside an aluminum, thin case, transmission is MUCH more fragile then a engine block. It should be on a pallet or at least 2-3" of foam/cardboard padding underneath the transmission.

you can ship UPS up to 150lbs otherwise most likely going to have to freight it

[quote=“Violator,post:25,topic:37513"”]

I agree with RX3. Just because your engine made it doesnt mean that you packed it properly. If you want to play roulette with your stuff thats fine but try not to give poor advice.

That aside an aluminum, thin case, transmission is MUCH more fragile then a engine block. It should be on a pallet or at least 2-3" of foam/cardboard padding underneath the transmission.

[/quote]

I did not give poor advice. I work for fedex and have for 8 years. I think i may know a little about the subject of packing & shipping. The Motor and diff i shipped were for other people…not my own. i could not tell you how well they were packed…i can only tell you that it worked…and on several occasions. Is it the best method…probobly not…everyone knows that. I just threw it out there that it can be done.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:14,topic:37513"”]

I hope the guy has a forklift to unload it.:biglaugh:

[/quote]

Its helpful, but not needed if you’re a thinker lol.
I had the FedEx semi pull up in front of my house, backed a pickup truck up to the trailer door, slide the pallet out and dropped and foot or two into the truck bed.

I do what works. If spending all kinds of money and convincing yourself that your packaging job is way better than everyone else’s is what gets you going…fine by me. I’m out to make money, not win an award for best shipping practices.

FWIW, my method has worked multiple times. Including 100lbs of a differential to Norway. No complaints at all.

And yet more professional recommendations for a similar packaging method.

Six Speeds Inc, who rebuild a LOT of T56s.

http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/PDF/t56packaginginstructions.pdf

^^ word

nerver had a problem.

even shipped a T56 is parts, and everything was fine.

i shipped a 4 spd tranny to Michigan in a rubber maid crate and it was fine.

When I was younger my buddy sold a tranny on eBay, we wrapped it in a garbage bag and duct taped the entire thing, sent it UPS just like that, didnt drain the fluid or anything
I wouldnt advise it but looking back its funny

[quote=“9c1ny,post:33,topic:37513"”]

When I was younger my buddy sold a tranny on eBay, we wrapped it in a garbage bag and duct taped the entire thing, sent it UPS just like that, didnt drain the fluid or anything
I wouldnt advise it but looking back its funny

[/quote]

if i bought that tranny i woulda been SOOOOO pissed haha

[quote=“FBodyMadnezz,post:34,topic:37513"”]

if i bought that tranny i woulda been SOOOOO pissed haha

[/quote]

it was my buddies doing mostly, it was just a stock Ford C4 he sold for like $100 on eBay, if I remember correctly the UPs dude broke the filler tube off putting it on the truck but the buyer never said a word about anything, go figure :gotme:

I wish my 4t65e fit in a bin…well, all the parts BUT the case fit. I have 3 bins full of 4t65e trans parts.

I originally received my trans from the shop that built it, on a pallet, banded and plastic wrapped. When it broke, I put it on a pallet, banded it, and sent it out. I got it back the same way they shipped it originally. NO problems. BUT, I’ve bought to engines that have been shipped to me and BOTH times I’ve had something break off…ign. coil nub, and a valve cover cracked. I think its just playing the odds and hoping they’re in your favor.

[quote=“JuicedGT,post:27,topic:37513"”]

I did not give poor advice. I work for fedex and have for 8 years. I think i may know a little about the subject of packing & shipping. The Motor and diff i shipped were for other people…not my own. i could not tell you how well they were packed…i can only tell you that it worked…and on several occasions. Is it the best method…probobly not…everyone knows that. I just threw it out there that it can be done.

[/quote]

I’ve got pictures that would prove you wrong. Ever see what happens to plastic rubbermaid type containers in the belly of a plane 30,000 feet up when the temp drops?

You work for Fed Ex… exactly, that’s why it will probably arrive broken. You would think someone that works for a packing company would NOT throw some half-assed packing method “out there”. So what if it can be done, it’s not the right way, and you know it. Why say to do it then? :picard:

Poor advice = not doing it the right way. So you pretty much gave poor advice.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:29,topic:37513"”]

I’m out to make money, not win an award for best shipping practices.

[/quote]

I don’t even know what to say to that :roll:

[quote=“Rx3,post:37,topic:37513"”]

I’ve got pictures that would prove you wrong. Ever see what happens to plastic rubbermaid type containers in the belly of a plane 30,000 feet up when the temp drops?

You work for Fed Ex.... exactly, that's why it will probably arrive broken. You would think someone that works for a packing company would NOT throw some half-assed packing method "out there". So what if it can be done, it's not the right way, and you know it. Why say to do it then? :picard:

Poor advice = not doing it the right way. So you pretty much gave poor advice.

I don’t even know what to say to that :roll:

[/quote]

ground ftw

A lot of tranny companies suggest you ship in the rubbermaid…If they had such big issue with the trannys arriving fucked up I assume they wouldn’t suggest it :lol:

http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/PDF/t56packaginginstructions.pdf