Who here has built their own motor?

For all of you who have built your own motor, where did you learn to do it and what did you use for reference? I see a lot of people on here and other forums post in your/their build threads that you have had a machine shop do all the machining but you are doing the assembly yourself. For me, the idea of building a motor is appealing but daunting at the same time. What gave you the confidence and knowledge to build your own motor? What are some of the best books/articles/videos that I can get/read/watch?

Confidence that building your own motor is easy…

I’m in the process of building my own motor although most of the work will be done by a shop. I might do the assembly myself though. I’m much too lazy/busy with other things so I’ll probably just pay to have that done too…

I based mos of mine what I learned in school. Rebuilding 4 stroke bikes isnt much different. just need the torque specs.
At least you don’t have to rebuild a 2 stroke crank…

I found having a reference book thats specific to the engine you’re building is extremely helpful. Its also nice to have someone that’s experienced look over your shoulder and give you help/advice when you need it.

I used the Factory Service Manual as a reference when I rebuilt mine. A good set of mics and a torque wrench were the important tools. The car has been running strong for 4 seasons. Engine specific forums where also a great help for getting the right parts #'s etc.

I grew up around dragsters, and just people who only cared about cars. I just picked it up from other peoples years of experience. Also the different ways and tid bits of info from everyone. Ill be posting pics of my new engine build soon, lots of views on that i bet, got something siq for my nova.

just grab a helms manual for your car and get to wrenching. don’t cheap out on tools and take your time. i did my civic motor and it wasn’t bad, took a long time, but wasn’t bad. 2nd motor will go 100x faster though, lol. got lots of misinformation from some websites that set me back.

Building and engine is easy.Get either a chiltons manual or a factory service manual for the specs.If you need take alot of pictures so you know how it all go’s back together.As mentioned before you will need some tools,a torque wrench,piston ring comperssor,valve spring compressor(if you arnt having the heads gone threw at a machine shop),and some plastic gauge.Just follow all the specs and pay close attention to detail at it will be fine.If you run into a snag just log onto here and ask a few questions.I am sure we could talk you threw it.

I did it… it was not bad…on my 3000gt… you learn as you go, buy what you need (or make what you need). If you can find a forum on line to help step you thru the hard stuff, you should be fine. Only thing i needed to do was send some parts out for cleaning and machining. You get a good feeling knowing that you did the work yourself when you start it up and drive it for the first time.

www.helminc.com

i did mine just using a shop manual…
nobody taught me or anything…

just did some reading and started doing… it can only go together one way.

I just read a lot. I got specific advice from people in advance and built a plan. I used the factory manual for torque specs and clearances. I also planned to take a long time. Measure, measure, measure! If something seems even slightly strange, stop and ask someone. Don’t say “ah it will be fine”: do it right! Also use the right tools. Don’t try to hack something in. Its worth it.

:word: same here. once i got into it, it wasn’t as intimidating as i thought.

I have built many …

Tolerances and CLEANLINESS are the key

:word:

i started doing engine/trans work way back when by pretty much just pulling shit apart to see how it works/goes together. Just like anything else, the best way to gain experience is hands-on and you get better at it the more you do it

thats the key

you have to have the proper tools, and make sure you double check all your clearances for bearings and double check your tq specs

anyone can slap a motor together, but someone who takes their time and gets the clearances just right will have a far superior product

These two.

Have a reputable place do any machining necessary, then assemble. Not hard, just take your time and do it properly.

books,videos,internet,watching and helping others, ive actually assembled 2 motors by myself andhelped with like 6 or so more, my last one i blew up tho over reved it and spun #7 rod bearing on it

Pretty much. if your leftover parts pile is HUGE then you did something wrong. otherwise, make cardboard/shoe box spaces for parts layout when you take things out. then it’ll go back together as an assembly line. And it always helps to have someone who’s done it before to be there for moral support and to help consume the beer.