who mountain bikes?

So I was at dicks sporting goods today. I saw a Diamond back mountain bike, It said Iron Horse on the side. Its a sweet bike, disc brakes front and rear, index shifting (I hate twist shift) and full suspension. And no crap suspension, either. Its a 400 dollar bike, but sure beats 3 grand or more!

So when I get this bike (this week mabey) does anyone ride? North park is where I go.

I got the bike, let me upload the pic and get it on here. Its nice.

Find out how much it weighs, I’m really curious

^^^^ Ditto. Thing has to weigh a ton for that price. You get what you pay for, especially if it came from Dick’s.
But if it gets you riding, then it’s all good. Wear a helmet and all that stuff, and be kind to others on the trail and don’t leave trash, especially at North Park. There are some hard-core riders up there who won’t be happy if some noob ruins their trails.
I raced NORBA sport until I tore ACL/MCL; trying to get back in to it this year.
I remember being first in a race until my last lap when some dude on a Huffy beat me. Turns out he was an expert class rider who just wanted to prove to all of us on our $3k bikes that it ain’t the bike…
So go kick some ass on your new bike!

I miss mountain biking. I sold my bike to fshowcars a couple months ago.

i got a trek 8000. we should get a pittspeed mtb day

i’m down. i ride a cannondale. i mostly frequent frick park. i’m in vancouver right now. most likely going to do some mountain biking then more mountain biking when i get to hawaii next week!!!

I am game for a mountain bike day.

I had a bike from dicks a few years ago abd broke it the first time I rode it hard. I bought a trek after that and have been fine ever since.

I hate full suspension though, it just doesn’t feel right to me. :dunno:

I have an older Trek but haven’t been in the woods for years. Definitely want to get back into it. Nice trails at Mingo Creek Park in Monongahela.

are you heading to the big car cruise at Cedar Creek this Sunday? I was thinking about taking my bike and hitting up the trails at cedar creek in the morning then going up to the show.

If it ever stops raining and I get all my outside work done. Maybe meet up and ride for a while.

I raced NORBA as well, professional mechanic for Team Cannondale, owned a bike shop for a long time…still ride my BMX more than the MTB though.

I definitly need to get out more. It kills me to see my poor horse just sitting around.

I got a low-line Trek 820, but I don’t do much MTB… I would like to ride though, let me know!

There are Thursday evening rides for beginners at South Park. Ride leaves at 6:30pm from Ice Rink parking lot. I’ll be on vacation for the next two, but I’m going to hit those up after I get back. That will give me a pace that will help get me back in the swing of things. From what I understand, they help with technique for riders who aren’t up on their skills yet, and it offers a slower pace for those of us who need to build back up endurance but have the skills.
Be warned, though, that there is a moderate to advanced ride that leaves the lot around the same time, so ask the ride leader which group it is.
In addition, and again other than the next two weeks, I ride Game Lands at Bavington every Sunday morning. But I go REAL early to beat the crowds there. I take my dogs; they love it. But until I’m back in race form, my dogs try and catch the faster riders because they were always used to me being in that pack. So I go real early before the larger groups arrive. But I’m by myself, and still ride real slow, so everyone is welcome to meet up for those. After my knee surgery, even though I’m cleared physicaly, I can’t get over the psychological factor… so even if I could ride faster or jump higher or whatever, I’m scared to do it just yet.

isn’t all of south park beginner? I was there last saturday and rode a good bit of the park and didn’t see anything real hard. The only semi hard part is riding up the hills. :slight_smile:

The trails behind the horse track are begging for some jumps. I can’t believe noone has done that yet.

We have, they just get plowed. South Park officials don’t like that sort of thing.

Pace and technical ability are two different things, so sorry for not being clear in what I meant by “beginning” and “advanced”. And at South Park, there are some guys who ride real fast, even if there isn’t too much in terms of “fun” stuff for the jumpers and thrashers. Those guys are advanced, because the BMX and jump guys can’t keep up with them at all.
From what I’ve heard, the problem with some of the log jumps and stuff isn’t the park, it’s the horse people and specificaly one guy who takes down everything anyone builds, and goes so far as to booby trap stuff.
The mountain bike trail people have a decent relationship with the County Park people. Unless the logs/rocks/whatever are a barrier for a horse trail or walking trail, they leave it alone. It’s the hikers and horse people who tear everything down.
There are some small portions technical. But when I say beginner to advanced, I’m talking more in pedal cadence and speed, not technical ability. If I want nasty stuff like log bridges and see saws and radical drops, I go to Snowshoe. And break my knee.
Plus, unless you know some secret trails, then the marked and public stuff is real tame. There are some good trails up behind the RC Airplane field. Only a few, but there are some.

Snowshoe (not me, though; I’d be on my ass):

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/2007/snowshoe2/dropin.jpg

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/2007/snowshoe1/billline.jpg

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/2007/snowshoe1/brungeskinny.jpg

And I call this one, “Are you fuckin’ nuts?”…

http://www.williamkirk.com/images/2007/snowshoe1/seantech.jpg

i have a mountain bike its a gt i drive i would love to sell it if anyone wants it ill let it go cheap bike is like new never really rode it