why is everyone selling their ka-t

http://i10.tinypic.com/6o4d28g.jpg

I see an AIC controller…

A 9 second 1/4 isn’t bad for a land yacht :confused:

but land yacht can’t turn quickly even if it wanted too…

I am tracking my car next year and it’s going KA-T all the way. I have been in a fully built Sr20 with G35r turbo and AEM and a half built KA-T pistons cams, Arp everything, custome built T3/T4 and JWF ecu and at 14psi the KA was faster. Guys you need to realise with KA you need a good tune ( JimWolf, AEM etc) no SAFC, a SR20 will get away with it due to the fact it came turbo.

The weak point on the KA is the piston rings!!! So if you are going KA and you do not have money to fully build the KA, please atleast change the pistons. If not you may spend more money in the long run.

Check this site out www.ka-t.org you will find good info

Somehow I don’t think that was what the owner was aiming for. That being said, he has a decent suspension under the car and a good weight distribution.

explain to me how a KA-t setup is cheaper than the SR?
Sr redtop motor sets sell for $1500 complete

for a Basic T25 KA-t u will spend around $1500 - $2000

Price wise its more of less the same.

btw - ka-t is less work than the SR

a old friend of mine for his first turbo app he built a ka-t single cam. and to be honest i love the way the motor feels, and i mean…this motor came in my old 240. he built it all oem gaskest and left the internals alone, from me tryin to blow it up it had valve dents on the pistons…anyways to the story. he boosted it and it was called project BOB boost on budget. every corner was cut. pretty much a walbro, fpr, ka-t bottom mount exhaust mani, t25 redtop turbo, 3" exhaust, sr20 smic and piping. thats all i can think of at the moment. and he ran no tune on 10 psi for 5 days, poped a headgasket, put a stock wastegate on it to run stock boost on the t25, it spikes up maybe 1psi…and man this motor has taken beating after beating after beating and is still going as far as i know, i think it also…and i may be wrong but ran a 14.21 at cayuga. in my books ka-t’s are amazing, but i need reliability as my sr is my day driver.

but all and all, why are all the ka-t’s for sale? lol
as for cost, the price for a redtop now is probably gunna be a few bucks shorter then a mild ka-t. and stock sr vs. mild ka-t to get that extra mabye 40lbs/tq i could care less for. my car was built for one reason and its not to go in a straight line.

Couldn’t have said it better my self.

It’s only common sense that a motor made to be a turbo motor will be more reliable then a motor that was first meant for a pick up truck, then slightly modified for the 240sx in 1991 by making it a DOHC 16valva instead of a SOHC 12 valve but still keeping it NA.

I have seen some very nice KA-T set up’s making real good power but it wasn’t any cheaper then a SR swap, again reliability wasn’t as good. I think you can’t go wrong with an SR and Im not saying that because I have one, if I could I would rather have an RB25/26 over my SR…one day, one day.

Let’s not get into another one of these SR v.s. KA-t things again. It’s all personal preference, it all just boils down to how much money you want to put into your car and that is all. I have seem RB25’s kill SR’s, I have seen SR that kill KA-t’s and yet at the same time I have seen KA-t’s that kill RB25’s it just all depends on how much modifications your are willing to do and how much you are willing to spend.

Haha! In before the lock!
Usually these threads get locked either because it’s been talked about some many other times before or because some one sais something stupid.

A ka-t could be just as reliable as a SR20, the same guy that got his SR20 built, blew 3 sr20 before he went AEM. What I am trying to say is if you change the pistons and run a good tune (JWF) it will be just as reliable as a SR.

How many people here with a SR running big turbo and high boost like 18psi +?

Anyway it’s your preference what you what under your hood, my friend wanted me to go 2jz with him.

I disagree with this because indeed a turbo motor will be very reliable, but a pickup truck engine is made to last. It’s made to take a beating everyday out in dusty environments and whatnot. The KA is one hell of a workhorse.

yay this has been the most productive thread in car chat now in some time, good job son, shows we are a real club haha!!!

For the same money an SR will be much more reliable and take alot more abuse then a KAT will… it has been proven time and time again and will continue to be proven for a long time to come.

Come on out to a few track days (lapping anyways) and take a look around during the 9th hour of the event. Generally 90% of the KAT guys are standing around with there hoods up trying to get a few more laps out of the car or have already left. While the SR guys are still buzzing around the track.

Don’t beleive me? Come out to a track day and spectate.

I personally run a GT30 on an SR and I spend very little time on the side lines… other then the last even where I lost a PS belt, hardly the fault of the engine.

An engine is an engine. “Truck” engines usually share blocks with another large-displacement car, usually slightly reconfigured for more bottom end torque and less high-end power. See some of the GM Vortech engines and Ford Modular engines.

With proper tuning and a decent build, there isn’t any reason a KA can’t last the same as an SR, and the SR can’t last as long as the KA. The additional size of the KA is a bonus.

where are these KA-T’s for sale anyways?

i didnt see a whole bunch

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31301
http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31307
http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31890

but none of those are guys selling running and driving 240’s with a KA-T… they are just selling the parts.

Turbo + Mani + lines is pretty much a KA-T setup no?

I guess you could say that your motor snapped on you.

Yeah, you also forgot that this isn’t a video game. Installation of the pistons will cost money, and a good tune, JWF will cost money too. In the end, it will cost more for for that ka-t setup.

You are forgetting that the main reason why people here go ka-t is because it’s “cheaper”.

Do you really think they are going to go out and buy pistons and get a proper tune? LOL