Why is mah car twitchy

Bumpsteer is pretty annoying… suggestions?

Alignment specs:
Front:
6* caster
1.3* camber
1/16" toe in

Rear:
1.3* camber
1/8" toe in

Front:

Rear:

I know what the MR2 forum people are saying but I want unbiased non-MR2 opinions.

Thanks.

Its twitchy because you have toe in, you need zero or some toe out to make it stable

Useful reference perhaps?

BTW I have 6 deg caster at the front, 2.5 deg F/R, and slight toe in like you do, and I don’t get much bump steer.

If you read the link, alignment is a contributor but the difference in tie rod / control rod length or angle is what appears to cause it.

If you had toe out set up initially I think it would be more pronounced as the suspension compresses. But with toe in the tire just goes more neutral (straight) as the suspension is loaded…

Haha I just posted the opposite… Is it wrong to assume compressing suspension will make it toe out more?

What I have now is the “TRD Stage 1” alignment plus .3* of camber (1.3 all around instead of 1.0 all around). The AW11 from the factory comes with toe in and the TRD Stg 1 which everyone rants and raves about adds even more toe in F&R.

IDK all i know is when i have toe in on the 240 it’s twitchy as hell. And IDK about the coilovers he has, but he might not have much suspension travel.

I have a decent amount of travel, never thought to cut the bump stops though, there is a good 2" of material in there that I could probably do away with.

Wait so you are hitting the bump stops? Because your suspension arms seem parallel to the ground still… Like that means you need to lower the car more :lol

I don’t know if I’m hitting them, I don’t THINK I am but I COULD be.

That’s what I thought too (that I need to lower the car because of my spacers), but the mr2 forum people are freaking out that the rear tie rod is well above parallel.

Yeah it is and I was looking at the front and the LCAs. Just max the dampeners, and dump it out, it should only have like 1.5-2" of travel between the tire and fender :lol

I dont know, but on my r/c buggy, more toe in, makes it turn faster(twicthy I guess) and the tow out makes it run much smoother in a straight line. I think I have it set to 2* toe in on the front, 1* toe in on the rear. It is really the rear that makes it handle under power tho, more toe in rear, makes the a little slower over all, but more stable. Not that that really has anything to do with the Mr2.

If your hitting the bumpstops its probably gonna feel twitchy aswell.

Put the sway bars back in you ra-tard. Taking them out is only good for auto x where you want the car to change directions quickly. On the street it’s just dangerous and will not help you corner faster.

Well it looks like this is the baller fix:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25409_106087802749853_100000459007764_142969_1378207_n.jpg

Just dropped coin on new rear tie rods so I’d loveeee to not have to change them again, I’ll try putting in the front swaybar and swiveling the endlink mounting points on the coilover so they don’t hit the body and cause terrible noises.

Nobody on the eeeemr2 forums seems to have any issues with my alignment specs, AW11s need toe in for stability I guess, the serious autoXers call for a littleeee bit of toe out. Their main gripe is the rear tie rod angle, they say that it causes srs toe out under compression, the fix being those baller extender things in the pic above. I’ll avoid spending double on rear tie rods at all costs :lol

make the front have toe out like mentioned above.

Steering rack spacers. Use them.

Holy loaded question, if you want real answers, back up a bit.

You have toe-in in the front which is unusual but not likely causing your twitch.

What do you mean by twitch, what exactly is the car doing and where?

People are talking about bumpstops and all sorts of shenaniganary, are you actually hitting yours? Not hard to find out.

Sway bar talk - did you remove yours for autox or what was that about?

Bump steer is toe change under suspension compression.

As with anything with cars, be careful who you listen to because everyone is an expert.

Put the fucking sway bar back in.

^more advice based on nothing

your car is twitchy because it is a fucking mr2, like jclizzle said more details are needed

Yeah I’m just spouting out shit, I mean the swaybar should be in there anyway right?

I drove my neighbors MR2 (newer generation, bone stock) and any time over 80 it was twitchy. He ended up replacing the rear toe rods for some aftermarket/adjustable style and it helped out a bunch.