Understeering

I went to the LVD drift event and realized how much my car understeers :lol I did pretty bad but that was my first time (I usually just powerslide turns on the streetz haha). But I’d like to get some opinions on my car’s setup, maybe I could use some adjustments anyway.

-Stance GR+ coilovers, Front: spring rate 8kg, dampening 8; Rear: spring rate 6kg, dampening 6
-Stock sway bars
-Nismo Power brace
-Aluminum strut tower brace
-Engine/trans that weights a couple hundred pounds more than stock (but does sit lower and farther back)
-Tein inner and outer tie rods (with spacer for increased steering angle)
-Front camber -~1.5
-Rear camber -3.0
-Front tires 235/40-18 Falken Azenis RT-615
-Rear tires are whatever I have haha, probably 215/55-16?

I like how stiff the front feels and it still rubs a bit sometimes so I don’t want to lower the dampening force. So I guess I can stiffen up the rear a bit?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Id say stiffen the rear, should help out some. I know alot of the drift guys seem to run shit real stiff. GL

Understeer in the S chassis is normal…

stiffen up the rear… but your biggest problem with not being able to get the ass end out at LVD was the initiation… you need to ebrake/clutch kick or power over that bitch… looked like you were trying to just turn in and let the car do all the work

but i couldent find you before i left cause i wanted to ask wtf was goin on

Honestly man, you just need to be more drastic with the weigh you move the car around, use the throttle in combination with steering to move weight around.

Let off while flicking the steering wheel the opposite way you want to go, then at turn in WOT that hoe. Timing might be different with a turbo car though iunno.

That’s the best I can describe it, I didn’t use my ebrake once the event I drove at, and it works really well too.

I only used a clutch kick when I was plowing bad, but that’s not always the thing to do. You just need practice! Like we all do!

Setup wise, just get there early and play with damping and try disconnecting your front sway if the understeer is REAL bad.

^^^^ what benny said

I was just saying you need to initiate it somehow… either powering over and using the weight of the car, ebrake or clutch kick it. you just seemed to be turning in and hoping the ass end would slide out

i think a beefy rear sway bar certainly wouldnt hurt

Yeah I was just trying to power over. I would of clutch kicked but I had all over 100 miles on the new clutch setup :lol The e-brake needs to be adjusted or something, it didn’t work very well. Like Benny said, I’d rather not use the e-brake. I can stiffen up the rear more for the events and than just be more aggressive with flicking the weight around.

I just needz more practice!

I was initiating on the first turn but it just wasn’t enough. I know s-chassis are known for understeering, but this seemed excessive.

stiffen the rear and camber the front wheels in a ton. I also never touched my ebrake on that course and didn’t really even need to clutch kick. Like benny said, you need to be more drastic with the approach. By getting the ass end of the car in motion and applying throttle you should be able to start the slide pretty well. Since it was your first time, I’m sure you weren’t getting in to the throttle as much as you should, since it feels completely opposite of what your used to in daily driving.

Next time, I’d like either you or Jay to take my car out with me as passenger and let me know what you think.

But yeah I just need more practice and I’ll stiffen the rear up a bit.

When you got it sideways there was a few times you held it pretty well

Just try to shift the weight of the car… when i blow it sideways on the streets from time to time I turn out from the turn a bit then flick into it and give it some gas…

your car did seem a bit bouncy? I figured you woulda had that thing stiff as fook

Cars setup properly to drift practically drift themselves, but there’s more to it than just “stiffen the rear”. That may help substantially but address balance of the car in terms of the whole car, not just one end of it. Also, just running a crazy stiff rear sway bar may help get the rear to come around easier, but it’ll be harder to control once grip is lost. So while it works in getting the car to go sideways, it isnt ideal. You paid for all the fancy susp equipment, might as well use it for all it can do.

Also, if you have an understeer problem, the ideal way to fix it is to GIVE grip to the front, not take it away from the rear. Think about how easy that would make the car to slide at 100mph instead of 40.

Your car could be doing any number of things. Aside from having someone who knows setup drive it, you’ll have to play around with your settings yourself. Read up on suspension. Look at my suspension flow chart thread for the basics.

Just my $.02.

I’m about to flow chart all over your face.

I was wondering when youd be in here :tongue

:tongue I’m not going to be much help. I spend every day at the track trying to get my car NOT to drift.

But after driving it with a couple of disasterous setups on it, I can imagine what you guys look for in a slide-able car. :smiley:

True, but your still a track fag… the only difference is they liked to do it while making big smokey trials

Yeah that flow chart was good. I’ll look over it again later.

KSport Hydralic E-Brake. Screw cables. I have on here. Do you have stiffer rear subframe bushings and or the coller inserts. And a Bigger rear sway bar or the Cusco set up i have that here too. LOL

I would like to check out how the ksport mounts in and if I can keep my center console. I already have Stance solid subframe bushings. I think I’m going to hold off on the sway bars because I don’t want to stiffen the front anymore and for normal street driving I don’t want to have the rear too stiff.