Wierd Brakes in 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon...

Well…I have been trying to find out what is exactly worng with the brakes on my “If its snowing like crazy outside and i need 4wd car”
1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton Wagon

Problem:
The brakes feels effy
The pedal seems pretty low before it engages it seems like i have to depress it all the way down for it to start stoping…about 2 inches from the firewall and it at its fully stopping power 1inch from the firewall…when you pump it alittle, it goes up alittle about 3/4 of a inch

This is what i have checked and noted

The rear brakes has been bleed, rear brakes still looks good.
I replaced the driver side wheel cylinder because it was no good, siezed on one side. i will adjust them over the weekend.
the master cylinder is air tight because when u pump the brakes when the car is off it becomes very hard.
I was gonna adjust the brake at the pedal to let it have less play in it. would that help?

what i think it is…
i think there might be air in the lines
could it be the master cylinder?

Sure sounds like air in the lines. I would start there as it is “free” and easy.

Good luck.

Sounds like a shoe adjustment is due

Dave when did you get a Brighton?

i got it like 2 weeks ago from air head. why?

i will have the shoes adjusted tonight hopefully with my spark plugged changed in the mustang.

Bleed the brakes, if that doesn’t work Bleed the brakes.

adjust the rear brakes no change…i bleed them also…and nothing…i bleed them agian nothing…no change in distance…i dont know if its the brake pads or rotors. but when i put full force on the brake pedal i come to a rolling stop…like it seems like its not grabbing. the pedal doesnt go to the floor either. it still has a good 1in before its to the floor. this is making me have a headache…