Wii Softmod/Hacking/Whatever...

I attempted to softmod my Wii last night and I failed… Well, sorta. I was wondering if anyone else on here has it working (Wayne I know you are out there).

Here is what I did:

I was able to get homebrew channel working. It was actually really easy. I thought that was all you needed to be able to play backups. I really had no idea WTF I was doing. Story of my life, really.

Anyway, doing more research I found that you need to load some other BS to get it working. I have 4.2u firmware, which seems to be a PITA?

I followed this forum post:

I was able to do the above 100% and now have the NeoGamma R7 channel on there that is suppose to play backups from DVD, HDD, SD. I’m thinking there are other steps to get the HD to mount. Couldn’t be THAT easy.

At this point in time I am unable to mount a hard drive and I can’t play any of my “backup” disks I burned. I get a #002 error when the game tries to load.

So, I was just wondering what you all did to get your Wii to either read backup disks and/or ISO from a hard drive.

Am I also right in assuming that once you want to start doing the whole downloading games route, you can’t play store bought games because it will ask you to update the system and blow away your sheeit?

I’m thinking about doing this now:

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/wode-jukebox-wii-mod-chip.html

Seems to be a much more “cleaner” and easier install than this softmod BS.

you’re not going to be able to mod-chip that wii i don’t think. If it’s got 4.2 on it it’s prolly too new. Bring it with you on friday with the HD and we will figure it out and make it work.

If you search around there is a website somewhere that will break down by serial number wether or not your drive capable of a mod chip. the newer once’s aren’t unless you replace the entire guts of the unit with previous gen wii shit. That’s the situation i was in. I got the softmod working really, I just don’t have a HD so I just use USB flash LOL.

Backup discs are a waste of time, and if you have the same drive as I do, will never work due to the drive itself IIRC. Softmod will be your best friend once you get it working. I have all the shit at home, and I was out working in the shop last night when you texted sorry. Either way it’s doable with a softmod, and i forget the name of the other software thing i installed, but it actually PREVENTS you from updated the system via a game disc etc. :slight_smile:

I would definitley go here for the best softmod wii guide: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/24839-softmod-any-4-2-wii.html

You’ll need to register at that site to view pictures and gain access to downloads but it’s free and well worth it. I’ve successfully modded my wii (4.1U firmware) and a few people I work with have modded their wii with 4.2U firmware using this guide.

Using a USB hard drive to load the ISO’s is going to be your best bet as the Wii is very particular about which DVD-R’s it will read.

yea that’s the same tutorial i used. Bootmii is the program i was thinking of that blocks updates i believe. :slight_smile:

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will have to wait till I get home because that stuff is blocked here. :frowning:

Wayne - Not sure what time you are free tomorrow. I know you had some shop stuff going on.

Our Wii is too new to try this :frowning:

If you guys want to get srs and hardware hack it, I’ll give you a hand soldering or whatever is involved.

Most of the stuff out there now is solderless. There are some nice hardware mods out there.

Okay, as far as disks, only Verbatim and Memerox DVD-R will work. Thats it. Error #002 is usually you dont have the correct IOS firmware. (No I did not spell that wrong. ISO are image files) Different games require different IOS to run. Most will run on IOS249. I am going to take a shot in the dark and say your trying to run “New Super Mario Bros. Wii,” that has not been hacked yet to run from a DVD-R. I have hacked 3 Wii now, without a problem yet. I have mine running 4.0u as that is the newest firmware that has the most stuff, and is still completely open, more or less.

As far as mounting the drive, it has to be formated to WBFS format. Thats probably your problem. I read for nearly 2 weeks before I touched mine. I have a decent idea of their workings. I havent done a modchip yet, but I have been inside the case. If I can help any more, let me know.

Great writeup! Wow. I only have a 512 SD card, so I can’t backup my NAND. I’ll have to stop at target or something tomorrow to get a bigger one.
A lot of these steps are what I did last night. I was probably close. There are a few different things this writeup is a little more clear about.
I think I will order one of the western digital mybooks listed, too. I think my 8 gig memorex travel drive will work.