Wilwood or Z32?

Does that really matter to most people on SON?

They want the best they can afford…regardless if it is overkill or not.

How many people here slam their cars way beyond being useful and fit wheels that have no business being on the car (and make your car less functional than with a good set of good fitting lightweight 16’s) for no other reason than this retarded shit they call “baller status”

OP asked which was better. Wilwood is better, REGARDLESS of what you use them for.

The nature of brakes…TO STOP YOUR CAR AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. That’s what Wilwoods do. They do it better than Z brakes.

^ having owned both the willwoods kill gtr breaks even with a stock s13 break mc they stop 100times faster then my gtr with fresh pads etc

Ill let you know how i like the willwoods after i put them on this weekend, unfortunately there will be no pics as my girlfriend will have my camera in Europe

waits for taurus brakes jokes

I love my wilwoods, I can honestly say it’s the best bang for the buck upgrade I could feel on the track. I am still with a stock KA with bolt ons and I intend to stay that way other than maybe nistune and some dyno tuning of the KA :slight_smile: Suspension and a good brakes setup with grippy tires = so much fun on track :slight_smile:

This car has willwoods and carbon fiber wheels, they gotta be good :D:

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/img/newslinks/carbon_rims_on_naked_chassis_mid_build%5B1%5Dscdo.jpg

I’ve recently made a few damper adjustments that seem to have increased grip overall on the car… and the car brakes better too… I can’t really test it out on the street… so I can’t wait for the next upcoming track day I can catch to see how the car behaves… In the past track events I’ve attended I haven’t been able to yet fade them. So that’s all I can say. I plan to also get some r comps… so we shall see. The reason I mention the above is the fact that I have mild pads… I am not sure exactly which wilwood set of pads I received from Dave… but they are definetely street pads according to him. He said they are ‘aggressive street pads’ LOL whatever that means. Reason again I am saying this… this is with a non track dedicated set of pads… and the pads are still looking like brand new (nice and fat pad).

I want to find out what exact pads I have so I can compare to the rest of willwoods’ pad selection, but I am just trying to make a point… even with these ‘aggressive street pads’ Dave provided me I have not been able to fade the brakes on street or track. I do feel the need for some more aggressive pads a tad bit… as I feel the tires still have something left in them to take advantage of more aggressive pads on track… but I want r comps and some ducting (just in case) to really take advantage…

Saying ‘stock is enough on the street’, etc… are bullsh*t arguments in my opinion, but to each his own. I hated the stock brakes and the z32 brakes didn’t satisfy me (I was expecting a big jump from stock brakes - i went with a few different pad options and got sick of caliper rebuilds too).

Street or not… there are always better options, question is do you want to and can you afford it. That’s all. I didn’t get myself into this hobby to have a car that’s cheap or just looking nice in a parking lot. I like to drive. I got it because I like cars that go, stop and turn fast :slight_smile: It’s an expensive hobby but that’s just the way it is. Bottom line is you get what you paid for. You have to know your goals/expectations and evaluate all the pros and cons.

When you cheap out in the long run you spend more… and if you cheap out on not getting something that you’ll want down the road you’ll end up spending more again down the road. Research, planning, patience it all pays off.

If you’re not into driving the car aggressively by all means stick with a stock 240sx or buy a brand new from the factory sports car that you don’t need to modify.

If you’re into this hobby to show others you have magical parts, you’re an idiot. I build my car for myself alone and only like to share my ideas and aspirations with like minded individuals. If you’re building your car, build it the way you want and ignore the commentaries. Take what useful information you can and make up your mind yourself. Ignore stupid internet forum criticisms and just move ahead at your own pace for your own sake.

What calipers are you guys running from Wilwood. I was looking at them awhile ago, but there were a lot of choices, lol. They look like good equipment and they have been around a long time, so I can believe they are good for the money.

Superlites = great choice

You won’t fade Willwoods on a stock KA… its too damn slow between corners, they will never heat up. You also wouldn’t be able to fade Z32 brakes on a stock KA… same reason as above. (If you do either… learn to drive or there is something wrong with your setup)

Willwoods will not stop your car faster then Z32 brakes… they will stop it more consistently then Z32 brakes IF you are fast enough between corners for them to not have time to cool off enough… thats a BIG IF.

Mark’s car is very quick between corners and maintins a fairly high speed through out the course (any track is similar but I’m speaking from dunnville observations) so Willwoods are almost necessary on marks car… almost ;p.

Buy Smart… purchase brakes that will be slightly more then what you need. Slightly… not overkill, unless you just want them to look baller then for SURE buy the Willwoods.

They look amazing poking out behind some nice rims.

they arnt street legal though?

So when you go buy a computer, are you going to spend $3000 on it because you can afford it? But all you need it for is MSN and Internet?

^If someone is buying a computer they have the right to buy a new computer.

Otherwise if you want to use msn, outlook and just internet explorer I can build you an awesome pentium 2 450mhz machine with windows 98se on it. It will rock your world with MSN and outlook.

It’s stupid to argue. You pay for what you want, you get what you pay for. Some spend more some spend less. You can get there one way or another, it’s up to you how fast, how well, etc…

People are ever so critical on son240 of what others get and tell ppl what to or not to get. I know that’s to be expected when someone asks the question “what should I buy” but, live and let live.

I can’t seem to edit my stupid posts, anyways… I was gona add, if someone wants to buy a ferrari and they can, they don’t NEED a ferrari but you know what if they can and want to get a ferrari by all means who are you to tell them “no man you should buy my 240sx its so awesome and you dont need a ferrari”. Thats the kind of arguments ppl have on here. Who frickin cares! If someone can afford to buy something good, let them. “NEED” is something relative. You dont get a 240sx because you NEED a 240sx, you get it because you want it.

I dont need a sports car, but i want a sports car and the same goes for the rest of you.

Its all relative… tires, susp, brakes, power, etc…

don’t buy willwoods, if it means you can only afford cheapo tires now instead of good tires…

Z32 are plenty if you know how to drive…well

Already mentioned that :slight_smile: It’s common-sense you need good grip and all the other things, everything being relative and equal. No disagreement with that.

yeah. I fully understand where everyone is coming from. Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I guess my thoughts at this point are wilwood because by the sounds of it, the z32’s are tempermental and require rebuilds due to their age. Where as wilwoods are newer, more reliable and are an overall better setup in terms of braking. Am I getting this right?

When you buy z32 calipers you’ll never know for sure how many times they were already rebuilt and when you’ll have to rebuilt them again. Willwood have brand new, lighter calipers with Stainless Steel pistons which don’t corrode like z32 pistons do.

Since when old and rebuilt many times part is better than brand new?
Wilwood kits come with everything you need and you can choose pads and rotors.
If you complete Nissan z32 set of brakes with brand new Nissan calipers, ss lines, aftermarket pads and all necessary hardware,you’ll end up spending much more than for Wilwood kit.
There is no such think as to good brakes or to good tires etc.
If it’s time for you to change brakes and you have extra buck or can wait and save then go for Wilwood and after that start saving for that awesome Direzza tires.

Wilwood’s are better!

^Lets just say you won’t be disappointed or have to worry about getting something used that is in questionable quality. Here and there spending you may save some money with a z32 setup, but, you do the math. Naturally something being brand new should have you less worried. Can’t go really that wrong with that…

We’re all human, even if we are given two mountains of gold chances are we’ll want another mountain of gold… but I am pretty confident you won’t really want more if you get willwoods, they’ll keep you plenty busy. Just make sure to build your car up in every respect gradually with good thought and research put into it. Every little bit adds to the car’s overall performance. As mentioned good tires = better braking. Make sure to take care of everything.

Best of luck… If you do decide to go with a willwood setup id look into the guy on zilvia one of the sponsors… lol he even has a 14" front kit… but whatever… I have 13" 6pot fronts and 4pot rears from dave/arizona z car but all that was said and done if i were buying again id think again as to either sourcing/building my own kit or just off the shelf from that guy on zilvia now that he’s selling.

Offtopic, but these Dymag wheels are like $20k for a set, now that’s “baller status”.

When you buy a computer, you buy a Mac.

/story.

Quoted for the FTMFT

Must watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44