Windows 10 Thread: Phones, Surface & PC (Formerly Nokia Phones)

Bump! (because the BB thread reminded me)

Who’s using Windows Phone right now? Probably not too many of you but for those that are, what are your impressions?

I currently have 2 developer Nokia Lumia 920 phones and one AT&T 920. Nokia has GREAT customer service:

Personally I think it’s awesome. Would I prefer to be using a next-gen version of Nokia’s MeeGo? Yes. The multitasking, UI and open platform made that OS my favorite. But Windows Phone 8 has won me over with its speed and reliability. It’s hard to explain just how fast and fluid it is until you actually use it for some time.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

LZ’s questions from another thread:

Email works great, but I haven’t figured out how to get it to put outgoing messages in my out-box when using IMAP. It’s something that isn’t too big a deal (you can send a copy to your inbox as an option) but I’ll look deeper into it later. There is a threaded option for emails which helps keep conversations in line (much like threaded texts) but I wasn’t interested in getting used to it so I disabled it. One cool thing is that Outlook-specific things (like meetings, etc.) that a client might send me are formatted properly since the phone is Microsoft. I use Thunderbird at home and these messages only appear as text & code jumbles and you can’t really read them.

Maps seem perfect to me. Haven’t really used them too extensively for directions, although I have used Nokia City Lens when in a city that I don’t know and it’s very cool.

My phone hasn’t crashed once. The only time it’s been off since I received it was when I’ve flashed the device with different firmware to test some frequencies in this area. Reports of crashing phones have all been related to branded / locked phones which I don’t use. But it’s easy reset the phone, or if you keep having problems (which some have) you can re-flash or recover the device with the built in menu. While this resets the phone to factory specs, the phone also backs up your apps / contacts / calendar / etc. so the process is mostly a short inconvenience.

Battery life is great. I use the phone heavy throughout the day and it gives me a full days worth of charge. Exactly what I’d want & expect. If you notice the battery draining too much there is a menu to disable or select which applications work in the background. So if I have Urban Spoon constantly updating depending on my location and I don’t really need it, I can disable it in this menu and it will remain off until I open the app again. The phone will even tell you if it’s draining quickly and suggest / link you to this menu when you first start using it.

I can take screen shots too for those that are interested.